Save $$$ - Heat with Wood

/ Save $$$ - Heat with Wood #21  
Yeah, all that heat goes right up the chimney ! Mine continues to give off heat from the logs that were heated when they were on..
I have no chimney for all that heat to go into the atmosphere, and no mess to clean up.

Mine are 100% efficient .. No chimney..

My fireplace is probably 75%? efficient which means while burning a lot of heat goes right out the chimney, but the fireplace is air tight so no room air, or not very much anyway, goes up the chimney. It has a duct drawing in outside air for combustion so very very little inside air is lost.

Old style fireplaces are generally converted to TV racks because they were terrible heat losers, by not so much any more.

Well, I have to go and prod the little woman to throw another log on the fire.

I will admit that a gas fireplace with a thermostat will keep a room closer to an exact range while my experience with wood is there may be swings in the room temp.

/ Save $$$ - Heat with Wood #22  
We built our house in 93. The plans had a fireplace. I had the architect remove it and replace with more closet space. I like my switch on the wall. And now I have a generator that allows me to use that switch no matter what. :)

/ Save $$$ - Heat with Wood #23  
My fireplace is probably 75%? efficient which means while burning a lot of heat goes right out the chimney, but the fireplace is air tight so no room air, or not very much anyway, goes up the chimney. It has a duct drawing in outside air for combustion so very very little inside air is lost.

Old style fireplaces are generally converted to TV racks because they were terrible heat losers, by not so much any more.

Well, I have to go and prod the little woman to throw another log on the fire.

I will admit that a gas fireplace with a thermostat will keep a room closer to an exact range while my experience with wood is there may be swings in the room temp.

I think the best wood stoves are around 80 percent efficient. Unless you have one of those it's probably 50 percent or less.

/ Save $$$ - Heat with Wood #24  
I remember a spread sheet someone posted a few years ago with costs to heat. If I remember Wood was pretty cost effective. I think it also assumed you paid for wood. I think this assumes a modern wood furnace.

In my case I would already have a chainsaw bu5 not likely a splitter.

I already have a truck and tractor and saw. That reduces my equipment needed to a $1000 splitter. I actually have a $3000 splitter and a $800 saw, but if I was only cutting the 15 rick I'll burn I wouldn't need that. My stove was fairly expensive, but it's already paid for itself in 5 winters.

/ Save $$$ - Heat with Wood #25  
Funny about a splitter. 18 years ago, Saw a home-made splitter advertised for $400. When I got there, it wouldn't start. Engine had compression, so I offered $100. Seller countered with $150, I said load it up.

I learned that a 10 HP Briggs & Stratton can wear its key so the ignition is out of time. New key and the engines fires. Next year, a hydraulic hose burst. $45 dollars latter. For several years, the engine is getting hard to start. The carb is an old style up draft. I learned about ether starting fluid. After a few more years, I replace the engine with a Honda clone for $150. It now starts on one pull.

I just used it to split a 1 yard loader bucket of wood before dinner. ;)

/ Save $$$ - Heat with Wood #26  
My fireplace is probably 75%? efficient which means while burning a lot of heat goes right out the chimney, but the fireplace is air tight so no room air, or not very much anyway, goes up the chimney. It has a duct drawing in outside air for combustion so very very little inside air is lost

Don't know about 75%. A fire place chimney always has a vacuum . Without glass doors,or adjusting the damper. There's no way to stop the surrounding air within the home from being pulled up the chimney
Not much one can do to make an open fire place more efficient

A open fire place is a large vacuum.
A fire place insert is a much better heat source / value for your home than an open fire place.

Last edited:
   / Save $$$ - Heat with Wood #27  
I also have a coal insert, my 3 tons of coal was $720 this year, but is saves me several hundred gallons of oil.
Not much of a dollar saving but I tend to keep it a lot warmer which my wife likes then the oil furnace would be set at.

Wow, here in PA I pay $170 a ton, but pick it up myself. I only run it Dec, Jan and Feb, but once I start it it doesn’t get shut off.

/ Save $$$ - Heat with Wood #28  
:laughing: Thanks for posting that s219.

I see you end up justifying equipment by ignoring the same math I do ;).

Reminds me of a similar post somebody put up here about Being Lied to by Salesman about Operating Costs of a TLB.....

15' of house siding
4 lawn sprinklers
1 dog house
3 garbage cans
2 tool boxes
5 flashlights
8 coffee mugs
Total of 38' chain link fence
5 fence posts
Truck tow mirror
Car side window
Car door
2 gates
3 mailboxes......

Rgds, D.

/ Save $$$ - Heat with Wood #29  

Save $$$?
Heat with Wood

First year costs:

2 stoves and installation $1385.
Removal of hot water baseboard and boiler $238.
Search for reputable wood dealer N/A $76.
Chain saw $210.
Ax, wedges, maul, cant hook, etc. $119.
Old truck (junk after 1st load) $595.
Newer truck $8645.
Tire chains $88.
Replace truck's rear window (twice) $310.
Fine for cutting wrong trees $500.
5-acre woodlot $4995.
Splitting machine $950.
14 cases of beer $126.
6 fifths ginger brandy $38.
Fine for littering $250.
Towing charge (brook to road) $50.
Gas, oil, files, Band-aids $97.
Doctor's fee (sawdust in eye) $45.
Medical cost for broken toe (dropped log) $128.
Safety shoes $35.
Attempt to fix burned hole in carpet $76.
New living room carpet $699.
Paint living room $110.
Taxes on woodlot $44.
Woodlot boundary dispute settlement $465.
Roof repair after chimney fire $840.
Fine for assaulting fireman $50.
Extension ladder $55.
Chimney brush $22.
Medical fee for broken leg (fell off roof) $478.
Chimney cleaning service $90.
Replace coffee table (chopped up and burned while too drunk to bring firewood up from cellar) $79.
Divorce settlement $14,500.
EXPENSES $36,388

Sale of hot water boiler system $125.
Fuel oil savings $376.
CREDITS $501.

NET COST OF FIRST YEAR WOOD BURNING OPERATION $35,887.

At least there was 20k saved on not buying at tractor................ I burn firewood for the exercise and there's more savings, no gym membership fee. Oh I forgot, no buying diesel fuel.

Last edited:
   / Save $$$ - Heat with Wood
Curious why you are not cleaning from the bottom up. We have a 32ft flu. Chimney guy comes every other year and cleans with a drill, brush, and extensions. Runs a camera up when done to check the work and flu condition. All done from the ground at $150 per cleaning.

I could do that every other year and I may take that approach next year, but I definitely want to get up top periodically to wire brush the louvers on the chimney cap. They accumulate ash over time and close up the area which will start to restrict flow. And it's good to periodically inspect the ran pan, collar, etc.