Save $$$ - Heat with Wood

/ Save $$$ - Heat with Wood #1  

s219

Tractor
Kubota L3200, Deere X380, Kubota RTV-X
Posted this up on another forum recently and had to do it on TBN too. This is an old list that dates from the 1970s when I remember seeing it posted near the coffee pot at my dad's work. Found it available on the internet now. The dollar values are outdated but everything else is still true.

Save $$$?
Heat with Wood

First year costs:

2 stoves and installation $1385.
Removal of hot water baseboard and boiler $238.
Search for reputable wood dealer N/A $76.
Chain saw $210.
Ax, wedges, maul, cant hook, etc. $119.
Old truck (junk after 1st load) $595.
Newer truck $8645.
Tire chains $88.
Replace truck's rear window (twice) $310.
Fine for cutting wrong trees $500.
5-acre woodlot $4995.
Splitting machine $950.
14 cases of beer $126.
6 fifths ginger brandy $38.
Fine for littering $250.
Towing charge (brook to road) $50.
Gas, oil, files, Band-aids $97.
Doctor's fee (sawdust in eye) $45.
Medical cost for broken toe (dropped log) $128.
Safety shoes $35.
Attempt to fix burned hole in carpet $76.
New living room carpet $699.
Paint living room $110.
Taxes on woodlot $44.
Woodlot boundary dispute settlement $465.
Roof repair after chimney fire $840.
Fine for assaulting fireman $50.
Extension ladder $55.
Chimney brush $22.
Medical fee for broken leg (fell off roof) $478.
Chimney cleaning service $90.
Replace coffee table (chopped up and burned while too drunk to bring firewood up from cellar) $79.
Divorce settlement $14,500.
EXPENSES $36,388

Sale of hot water boiler system $125.
Fuel oil savings $376.
CREDITS $501.

NET COST OF FIRST YEAR WOOD BURNING OPERATION; $35,887.

/ Save $$$ - Heat with Wood #2  
Lol. I agree. Ill never recoup the cost of the fireplace we put in but we sure enjoy it. Nothing better than wood heat on a cold day.

/ Save $$$ - Heat with Wood #3  
Sounds about right, just missed the value of all the time spent cutting, hauling, splitting, stacking, carrying and then carrying the ashes out.

/ Save $$$ - Heat with Wood #4  
I know, I was just dreaming of getting a new chainsaw. It would probably be $600. The only real reason to have it is for when the power goes out. I can at least keep the house livable when the power is out.

/ Save $$$ - Heat with Wood #5  
I know, I was just dreaming of getting a new chainsaw. It would probably be $600. The only real reason to have it is for when the power goes out. I can at least keep the house livable when the power is out.

You need a chainsaw to cut up the coffee table??? :D

/ Save $$$ - Heat with Wood #6  
the very reason I have gas logs. I just flip the switch on the wall (non remote)and have instant fire ! LOL

/ Save $$$ - Heat with Wood #7  
the very reason I have gas logs. I just flip the switch on the wall (non remote)and have instant fire ! LOL

That's the reason I pulled my gas logs out and put a wood burning fireplace in. The gas logs are quick and give you the warm cozy feeling, but 5 seconds after they go out it is cold. A wood burner heats up but when off, it still gives residual heat.

Best $36,388 I spent.

/ Save $$$ - Heat with Wood
What got me thinking about this was cleaning my chimney a couple weeks ago. Due to a real complicated roof layout, it was a real challenge to get safely onto the roof. The two easy routes I tried didn't work because I was hitting my head on an adjacent eave (with chunky pointy 4x6 rafter tails) while trying to get from the ladder onto the roof (which is tricky enough as it is). Finally ended up running my 28' ladder up to an eave right over the top of a wall with six windows -- it's the part of our house with a cathedral ceiling. I really wanted to avoid that wall because one wrong move and I would have busted out a lot of windows, but I had no choice.

Of course a 28' ladder is tough for one person to handle, so I used the tractor front loader (with a lot of straps to brace the ladder) to support the weight of the ladder while I got it into position. Worked well but I had a few pucker moments and probably wouldn't try that approach again.

Four hours later I finally get onto the roof, and used a rope to hoist up a 6' ladder to get me up to the chimney, as well as a small ladder stabilizer platform I made and a backpack with some tools. While hoisting the ladder up, I banged it into a window and almost had a heart attack, but thankfully no glass breakage. Only took me 15 minutes to clean the chimney, inspect everything, etc. All good.

The rain pan at the top of the chimney chase is rusting pretty bad, and will need to be replaced next year probably (will save that for a summer project). I got on the walkie talkie and had my wife send up a bottle of rust converter and paint brush to paint on the rain pan and maybe slow down the rust. That worked OK but of course I spilled a little down the side of the chimney.

Got all my gear down, climbed down the ladder, untied my safety lines, and put everything away. In total, about a six hour project just to clean the chimney!

Next year I am either going to cut an access hatch from the attic to get me directly onto the roof, or rent a towable boom lift (about $150 per day plus fees/taxes from Ahern rental). Heck, at about $15,000 cost brand new, I may come out ahead in the long run to buy a towable boom lift or a used 4x4 boom lift. Either boom lift option will require me to bring in some dirt/gravel and grade a flat path around the back side of the house since it's quite a slope there now.

Here's a photo of the six window $$$ zone where I ended up running the ladder. You can see other access points to each side where I was stymied by rafter tails getting off the ladder. Chimney is on the far right hidden behind tree branches in photo.

IMG_9140.jpg

Here's the arrangement on the roof once I got up there:

IMG_9171.jpg

My wife said only I would have been nuts enough to go through this debacle, versus paying someone else $400 to clean the chimney for us. I don't think they would have gotten on the roof any easier. But really, if it only takes a $15,000 boom lift to save me $400 per year, that's not bad for a wood heating arrangement. Will only take me 37.5 years to cover the cost of the boom lift.... If I can use the lift for other maintenance like power-washing and painting, or tree trimming, I can probably write off the cost in about 25 years....

/ Save $$$ - Heat with Wood #9  
I actually do save money heating with wood. My extra cost of burning wood was pretty much a wood stove and a splitter. I already have the other tools and managed not to run into most of those expenses.

/ Save $$$ - Heat with Wood #10  
That’s why I have a coal insert....stove was ~$1700, parts over the 10 years ~$300...coal each year is about $300....figure in an all electric house my savings every year is $1500 or so.