Outdoor Wood Fired Boilers

/ Outdoor Wood Fired Boilers #1  

boustany

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3010, BX2200
This is a dupe of a countrybynet post. There's more traffic here, so ....

Any experiences, comments etc., about outdoor wood fired boilers? Where I go deer hunting in northwest Michigan it seems lots of folk use them for heating.

They ain't cheap (C $10,000 or so) so I want to know as much as possible before going ahead. Wood shouldn't be a problem because I've got about 30 acres of woodlot and blow downs alone should keep the fires warm.

/ Outdoor Wood Fired Boilers #3  
there are lots of them go to any country fair and get probably 5 different manufactures info. usually get them for less than 5K around here. (old price as may be a bit more now with high steel costs?) you HAVE to add all the expensive stuff though such as "in-floor radiant heat pipes, radaitors ect." if it is already water heated those are non-issues though.

Also involved is Pumps, Pipging to and form, as well as digging hole for piping to & from it, Pad to set it on, ect.

keep in mind those items...

Mark M

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Outdoor Wood Fired Boilers #4  
Outstanding writeup >HERE< about somebody (in Ontario!) with an outdoor furnace. I had been considering one but ended up going with an inddor wood furnace and am very happy.

/ Outdoor Wood Fired Boilers #5  
I installed one for a farmer about ten years ago.

He heats his house, barn and all the hot water for the Milk parlor with it. The unit has saved him a ton on money.

They are not trouble free though.

The boilers don't last all that long . He had to replace his after about seven years .

and the unit he has is atmospheric , so it had to be installed at the highest point in the system.

They are smokey. He only fills it once a day , but they take a lot of wood . The previous post had a good link of someone that has one.

If you have to heat a lot of hot water they do a great job, but there is tradeoffs.

/ Outdoor Wood Fired Boilers #6  
I've got a Taylor Wood Stove at my place in central Pennsylvania. We have a seasonal dwelling, so I don't have experience with living with a wood stove for an entire winter season (however, several of my relatives do).

The ongoing cost of heating is definitely cheap with a good wood lot (e.g. sweat equity only). Generally, I feed it with new wood about 3 times a day....... which gives me an excuse to go outside and get some fresh air!! I usually give it a good cleaning with the chimney brushes about twice a year (it's very easy). From a technical perspective, people will tell you that wood stove are not energy efficient... However, if you don't mind the wood chopping, I think it's a great deal.

***************** Words of Warning *************

Make sure you study the prevailing winds and place your wood stove down-wind from your home!! Wood Stoves are smokey, so don't create a situation where you'll make the CEO unhappy....

We heat the house and heat the domestic hot water with the wood stove. It's actually two seperate plumbing systems.

For the domestic hot water, there is a copper coil that runs inside the water jacket and believe it or not, only holds about a gallon of water, but consistently turns 60 degree well water into near boiling hot water for the shower, etc!

*********** Second Word of Warning **************

Tell your guests that your hot water could scald them....

Atleast at my house the hot water is really hot!! If your've got a good well you can take a hot shower for an hour and never run short of hot water.... nice !

The heating system is a copper pipe loop of radiators inside the house and fed via a pump from the wood stove. I drain the wood stove in the winter and have rigged up the plumbing to allow me to easily replace the water in the radiators with pink anti-freeze to prevent freezing.

My relatives who use them year-round also love them, but also burn lots of wood. They burn 10+ cords in the winter time, so owning a wood splitter and really good chain saws are necessary.

Overall, I sort of enjoy the extra work of maintining a wood burner.... I keeps you young!

Henry