Gun and ammo question

/ Gun and ammo question #101  
You can fire 22 lr, 223 and 5.56 all in the same gun safely, I do it all the time.

Buy a Rock River Arms coyote model that has the Wylde chamber works great for both .223 and 5.56 and buy a 22 LR conversion bolt and magazines like this. Great way to practice.

View attachment 530765
Interesting! Thanks for sharing. I could see myself getting one of these. Do you know if there is any reason it will not work with S&W MP15?

/ Gun and ammo question #102  
For you guys looking at Ruger 10/22's, there's a number of really nice mods you can make. Most are shown on YouTube.
These include holding the bolt open after the last round (which also makes it easier to lock the bolt back). Also trigger kits. All are worth looking into.

One I'm especially enthusiastic about is a non-metallic or sleeved bolt stop. The bolt stop supplied with the gun is steel. The receiver is aluminum. Good possibility the receiver holes could egg over a period of time.
The plastic or pin(with a rubber sleeve) bolt stops will reduce to wear to almost nothing

BTW, I have two 10/22's....one carbine, the other a take-down. Both are great, but buy the take-down

/ Gun and ammo question #103  
I saw the take down for $399. The base model carbine is $199. The take down is really neat... however, hard to justify double the price for just dispatching raccoons.

What are some of the things you like about the take down compared to the carbine?

/ Gun and ammo question #105  
If you aren't committed to a blued gun with wood, stainless option with hogue overmold is sharp and requires less attention/assurance you've got a good layer of oil protecting things. I still check and oil.
I have a standard blued, wood 10/22 with 5 & 25 round clips--gun functions flawlessly. Great design--fair accuracy--nearly as fun as the mini-14. The most customizable weapon--except maybe AR-15. Just wish I'd sprung for the stainless.

/ Gun and ammo question #106  
Another vote for a shotgun,
SO MANY uses and choices of ammunition according to the needs of the moment.
Everything from mice, snakes and squirrels to mercifully putting down ANY large animal with a slug.
Also nice to know that if/when you miss the range is limited, unlikely to penetrate walls and kill someone in the next room, or a mile away etc.
Not that ANYONE aims(pun) to miss.

/ Gun and ammo question
I like spending other peoples money. Yep, sure is fun telling them what to do and spending their money.

RSKY

Absolutely!

/ Gun and ammo question #108  
Garandman said:
Don稚 understand where you are coming from.

A bolt action .22 with a scope is available used for less than $250 all day. An AR will cost $600-$1,200 plus optics.

Sounds like you and your wife do not agree over what the biggest threat is to your family and how to prepare for it. 鉄HTF usually refers to a prolonged period of time where government has lost the ability to provide order. That痴 not going to be a good time to be buying ammo. What folks consider sufficient ranges from two or three magazines full to a soldier痴 basic load of 200-400 rounds to thousands of rounds.

Sounds like you live in an urban area. The reason why urban and suburban homeowners buy shotguns in lieu of something like a 5.56 Rifle is that bullet will go through pretty much everything g in sight. #3 or #4 buckshot will not. A pump action shotgun like the Mossberg 500 is also simpler to teach your family how to use.

Someone mentioned 20ga has less recoil. Not necessarily so. A 20ga Gun is usually lighter so the impulse might be just as bad. There are much wider choices for 12Ga Home Defense ammo than 20Ga. This includes é��actical rounds which often have less recoil than hunting rounds. We have both and though we致e kept the 20Ga, I壇 buy another 12Ga in a é›»o over.ç´
[�/QUOTE]

According to Newton (and just about every physicist since ...) equal and opposite, etc.
FELT recoil is what hurts and yes, a heavier gun will come back a bit slower resulting in more of a push/shove than a punch.
It can matter if you are blowing away a couple of hundred (or 198) clay targets, but for a few dozen shots at pests ? probably not.
If recoil is an issue and you are NOT going to reload you can probably find a better choice of lighter loads in 20 Ga, e.g. lightest commonly available 12 Ga is probably 1 oz @ 1200 fps., but 7/8 oz and even 3/4 oz at similar velocities are on the shelf at many/most local *Marts.
...and Oh YEAH they are just as lethal, you just don't get quite as many pellets in the 30 inch circle on the patterning board.

12 Ga is still more versatile, very low initial cost and with 25 shells for under $5 most of the time - hard to beat.

There is also the issue of ricochet if/when shooting at ground vermin - whether running free or trapped.
Shotgun pellets can still be lethal if they bounce off a rock, but the range is so very much less than that of single bullets.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Gun and ammo question #109  
. An AR will cost $600-$1,200 plus optics.

That is TOTALLY BS and incorrect.

You can still get Del-Ton's right at the 400$ mark. and if you watch Rural King and Classic sales adds.. 369 and 399$ 'other brands' pop up frequently. over the last 2 months, there have been 3 offerings at 369-400, and if you expand to 435, add in another 3 offerings. These are mostly flat top, with a couple having front A2 sight. One model even had the carry handle / rear sight combo as a 'FREE' with purchase.. so for a non optic, iron sight basic model with a single 30 round mag.. you were at 400$ plus shipping.

/ Gun and ammo question #110  
That is TOTALLY BS and incorrect.

You can still get Del-Ton's right at the 400$ mark. and if you watch Rural King and Classic sales adds.. 369 and 399$ 'other brands' pop up frequently. over the last 2 months, there have been 3 offerings at 369-400, and if you expand to 435, add in another 3 offerings. These are mostly flat top, with a couple having front A2 sight. One model even had the carry handle / rear sight combo as a 'FREE' with purchase.. so for a non optic, iron sight basic model with a single 30 round mag.. you were at 400$ plus shipping.
Just under $500 got me a Complete Bear Creek 6.5 Grendel upper and Palmetto State lower.