Gun and ammo question

/ Gun and ammo question #1  

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
So I am in the market for a new long gun. I am wanting to kill two birds with one stone of course....

I am looking for something to dispatch small woodland creatures around the farm. For example Raccoons and horses do not mix. So a 22 LR would be nice.

However I am also thinking about some more self defense if things head south in the country. I know a rifle chambered in .223 will fire .22LR. I know that a rifle chambered in 5.56 NATO will fire .223. Will a 5.56 NATO fire .22LR? Would the magazine be able to handle all three rounds? I would not mix them in the mag, but would like the option to fire all three.

Since I live in Indiana I do not have any sill restrictions on what I can buy. I can also buy 30 rd mags if I want to :)

/ Gun and ammo question #2  
No 223 and 22 lr are not in any way compatible. 22 lr is a rim fire and 223 is center file. The only way I've seen that is a double rifle. Kind of like a over and under shotgun with say a 223 on top and a 22 lr on the bottom. They aren't very common either.

Also 223 and 5.56 Nato are different round, but not by much. The 5.56 Nato is a hotter round, but most rifles will fire either one, you just need to check first.

/ Gun and ammo question #3  
.223 and 5.56 anr interchangable, but neither will fit a .22LR

I have an old Savage 22LR over .410 that makes a very versatile long gun.

/ Gun and ammo question #4  
You may want to consider a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun. Shot size #6 or larger should be fine for the raccoons and you can load with slugs or buck shot for home defense.

/ Gun and ammo question #5  
I believe you are getting bore size, and cartridge names mixed. Names are just names, not measurements.

There are cartridges whose name starts with:

And they all use .224 diameter barrels and bullets.

Bruce

/ Gun and ammo question #6  
I vote for the shot-gun also;with the proper loads;mice-bears and everything in between.As noted a .22LR will not work in a .223 or 5.56mm.Second choice would be a .22 rim-fire.

/ Gun and ammo question #7  
.223 and 5.56 anr interchangable, but neither will fit a .22LR

I have an old Savage 22LR over .410 that makes a very versatile long gun.

I believe a 410 will also shoot a 45 colt if I'm not wrong.

/ Gun and ammo question #8  
So I am in the market for a new long gun. I am wanting to kill two birds with one stone of course....

I am looking for something to dispatch small woodland creatures around the farm. For example Raccoons and horses do not mix. So a 22 LR would be nice.

However I am also thinking about some more self defense if things head south in the country. I know a rifle chambered in .223 will fire .22LR. I know that a rifle chambered in 5.56 NATO will fire .223. Will a 5.56 NATO fire .22LR? Would the magazine be able to handle all three rounds? I would not mix them in the mag, but would like the option to fire all three.

Since I live in Indiana I do not have any sill restrictions on what I can buy. I can also buy 30 rd mags if I want to :)

Google savage model 24 It might meet your needs.

/ Gun and ammo question #9  
You can fire 22 lr, 223 and 5.56 all in the same gun safely, I do it all the time.

Buy a Rock River Arms coyote model that has the Wylde chamber works great for both .223 and 5.56 and buy a 22 LR conversion bolt and magazines like this. Great way to practice.

8A9D3A3E-F886-40B7-89DE-91918F07CF93.png

/ Gun and ammo question #10  
I would offer couple ideas. One, if you had only One gun, it would be 12 ga pump, they can load anything from birdshot to slugs and are one of the most affordable guns to buy and shoot. 20 gauge is roughly the same price but it's much more difficult to find good Buckshot and slugs in a 20 gauge but if you don't like the recoil they are nice. A bolt-action 223 Wylde or 556 can be had right now for under $200 with holiday discounts and can kill anything from squirrels to Dear with proper ammo. If you're strictly talking about varmints and then two-legged varmints, not interested in hunting mid-sized deer type game there's nothing wrong with a 223 with the proper ammo and the raccoon won't know the difference between whether he was hit with a 22LR or a 556 he'll just be dead. But if you're interested in hunting midsize to large game there's better options for cheaper or as cheap than the .223. Under $500 you could easily have a nice bolt action hunting rifle and a 22LR varmint type gun.

Another serious option that you may want to consider is a Hi-Point 995 Carbine I know everyone laughs at Hi Point, but the carbines are nice and in 9mm will do everything but actual legitimate hunting hunting. It is an extremely cheap to shoot cheap to buy gun and with even moderately decent ammo very effective at home defense. And the raccoons and possums won't last long against even the cheapest 115 grain FMJ