Plywood for concrete forms

/ Plywood for concrete forms #61  
Yea, it isn't a very good blog. The fact that cement is a hydrated compound that incorporates water (or OH) in it's structure. There may be excess water in the pour, more likely with lazy finishers without a design mix. A modern high stregth design mix may actually have close to zero excess water.
Actually, the amount of water/Portland cement is relative to the required slump for the application (job) and workability...not just the end result strength of the pour...Good luck getting a stiff mix (high slump) into intricate forms or through a concrete pump etc...

/ Plywood for concrete forms #64  
My Son In Law works with concrete in very complex situations. I listen to him talk about it in silence with my mouth hanging open. In practical application He's forgot more about concrete than I'll ever know. :)

/ Plywood for concrete forms #65  
/pine your post is misleading as it leaves out the first part of the discussion of the water needed for the chemical reaction. Your post is about the excess water remaining in the concrete

Thanks. I was hoping someone would correct that. Water that becomes hydrates the the CEMENT is there to stay. It does not "dry out".

/ Plywood for concrete forms #66  
Thanks. I was hoping someone would correct that. Water that becomes hydrates the the CEMENT is there to stay. It does not "dry out".
FYI...there was nothing to correct...The text is technically spot on...you're missing the point in context...I cited the page because of the layman's terms...

/ Plywood for concrete forms #67  
/pine your post is misleading as it leaves out the first part of the discussion of the water needed for the chemical reaction. Your post is about the excess water remaining in the concrete

This link is also part of the myths and misconceptions. it is also wrong in stating the water is not incorporated into the concrete. The Cement/water ratio is a chemistry calculation and adds enough excess water to be able to work the mixture. The weight of calculated amount of water to complete hydration of the mix components does become added to the weight of the dry components of the final concrete. There are many variables the chemist has to account for when designing a specific mix, even the water on the surface of sand/rock components. This whole subject is way beyond the knowledge base and/or comprehension of those not intimately involved in the processes that occur prior to the concrete arriving at the job site. Most folks are not aware of the final weight of a cubic yard of cured concrete being in excess of 4000# and do not consider its effect on what the concrete sets upon.

For the OP; you will need an appropriate foundation under that wall unless you want a sinking floor.

I am not a chemist or engineer; but, have attended many forums on concrete mix design, inspection and final construction; been a concrete designer, placement inspector, and construction manager. All of the proper terminology for concrete design, mixing, and placing alone is a huge learning curve. Notice I used "placing" instead of the common term "pouring".

Ron

/ Plywood for concrete forms #68  
This link is also part of the myths and misconceptions. it is also wrong in stating the water is not incorporated into the concrete. The Cement/water ratio is a chemistry calculation and adds enough excess water to be able to work the mixture. The weight of calculated amount of water to complete hydration of the mix components does become added to the weight of the dry components of the final concrete. There are many variables the chemist has to account for when designing a specific mix, even the water on the surface of sand/rock components. This whole subject is way beyond the knowledge base and/or comprehension of those not intimately involved in the processes that occur prior to the concrete arriving at the job site. Most folks are not aware of the final weight of a cubic yard of cured concrete being in excess of 4000# and do not consider its effect on what the concrete sets upon.

For the OP; you will need an appropriate foundation under that wall unless you want a sinking floor.

I am not a chemist or engineer; but, have attended many forums on concrete mix design, inspection and final construction; been a concrete designer, placement inspector, and construction manager. All of the proper terminology for concrete design, mixing, and placing alone is a huge learning curve. Notice I used "placing" instead of the common term "pouring".

Ron
Did you read it all? I suspect not because technically it is 100% correct in a non scientific vernacular...and again, none of the above is germane to the point I was regarding that was excess water NOTHING AT ALL about the amount of water required for (optimal) curing...

/ Plywood for concrete forms #69  
FB_IMG_1513108779900.jpg I just saw this picture on FB and thought it showed what it takes to support concrete with plywood. I'm guessing this is a four foot tall wall. Eight foot would be a lot more work.

/ Plywood for concrete forms #70  
Storm Shelter Construction.jpg

This is my 8' square x7+' high storm shelter wood layout for my storm shelter. It is not complicated but need snap ties and double 2x4s around inside and out every 2'. But can be reused later for other things.

Once the wall is done I pulled it all off and made the roof.

Last edited: