Plywood for concrete forms

/ Plywood for concrete forms #1  

3Ts

Elite Member
Tractor
Case, Kubota, John Deere
I have a need for a poured concrete wall inside an air conditioned and heated building. My plan is to make the form with plywood (and the additional 2x4 bracing etc.) and the plywood will be permanently in place along with anchors (like tapcons) to keep it from separating from the concrete. Then the plywood will be covered with drywall and finished normally. My question is that since the plywood will always be in contact with the concrete does the plywood need to be pressure treated? If it was a sill plate or exposed to moisture, then the answer would be yes, but since it is interior and protected from the weather with pretty consistent environment - does it need to be?

/ Plywood for concrete forms #2  
Can't help you with the treated question.

Will offer this. Helped my wife's Grandpa pour a concrete wall against an existing basement wall years ago. Used plywood and braced the snot out of it. Just before we got it full the bracing gave with the rifle shot sounds of breaking bracing. We ended up with a mess. Can't stress enough how much bracing is required to do this!!!!

As the Robot in the old Lost in Space TV show would say, "Danger Will Robinson, Danger"!!!!! :)

/ Plywood for concrete forms #3  
The wet concrete will ruin the plywood

/ Plywood for concrete forms #4  
Why are you leaving the plywood in place? I would install 2x4 or 2x2 treated wood in the new concrete wall form.Then when you take the forms off you will have studs in the concrete wall to nail your new wall to.

/ Plywood for concrete forms #5  
The concrete will never cure right with the plywood always there. The plywood will stay wet and in prevent the concrete from drying.

Look into ICF's for a short little wall. They are forms and walls all in one. Then you can hang drywall off of them.

Yes, brace the **** out of it and tie the old and new concrete together with rebar, epoxied into the old.

/ Plywood for concrete forms #6  
The concrete will never cure right with the plywood always there. The plywood will stay wet and in prevent the concrete from drying.

Look into ICF's for a short little wall. They are forms and walls all in one. Then you can hang drywall off of them.

Yes, brace the **** out of it and tie the old and new concrete together with rebar, epoxied into the old.

This is inaccurate...the plywood will not prevent the pour from curing...

Also water will stay in the concrete even after it has cured (28 days)...eventually the majority of it will work (evaporate) out but over time and the plywood will absorb the escaping moisture...

If against an existing pour use a bonding agent...

/ Plywood for concrete forms #7  
The concrete will never cure right with the plywood always there. The plywood will stay wet and in prevent the concrete from drying..

Im sorry, but this is so wrong. Concrete doesn't "dry", it hydrates. The best way to cure concrete is to keep it constantly wet as the plywood will do.

However I agree with embedding studs for future drywall an waterproofing before installation

/ Plywood for concrete forms #8  
Im sorry, but this is so wrong. Concrete doesn't "dry", it hydrates. The best way to cure concrete is to keep it constantly wet as the plywood will do.

However I agree with embedding studs for future drywall an waterproofing before installation

No, it's a chemical reaction between the Portland and the lime. Water just keeps the chemical reaction, Cure, to a slower rate. There is no such thing as hydrating in concrete...

/ Plywood for concrete forms #9  
   / Plywood for concrete forms #10  
This is inaccurate...the plywood will not prevent the pour from curing...

Also water will stay in the concrete even after it has cured (28 days)...eventually the majority of it will work (evaporate) out but over time and the plywood will absorb the escaping moisture...

If against an existing pour use a bonding agent...

It's pretty standard practice to remove all forms, of the concrete, as soon as the structural integrity is there. Concrete needs to cure and if plywood forms are there indefinitely, they only serves to weaken the concrete.