Need a lift idea

/ Need a lift idea #11  
Other than manual labor...
Do you have a main beam at the top to attach a chain and hoist???
You could build a platform similar to a dumbwaiter and then attach this to a chain and hoist to get the items up to the top...

I use a home made dumbwaiter to lift a car of fire wood from the basement up to the ground floor level. Build a vertical track out of 2" angle, build a 'car' big enough to handle the bulky stuff you want to send up, mount a 120v winch at the bottom, a snatch block pulley at the top and you're good to go. Whole thing can be done for under a grand.

But I like the kids idea too..... :D

/ Need a lift idea #13  
I beam, trolley and chain hoist.
U can also use an electric winch as some have lift ratings.

Have seen a few in sheds and in some service that stations use them to lift and store clients winter tires in my area.

/ Need a lift idea #14  
It would be hard to beat the price point of a jib crane. I've got one and haven't noticed any issues of swinging it loaded. Aside from that I like the forklift mast idea.

/ Need a lift idea #15  
In 2005 I built a 40x60 Garage and installed 2 lifts.
My heavy lift is a Mohawk 2 post rated at 10,000 lbs.
my second lift is a 4 post rated at 8,000lbs and is extra Long and high.
The 4 post is primarily used for storage of my truck in the winter and
Miscellaneous stuff during the summer.
It can be moved loaded with the optional casters enabling you to put it in a corner then raising to full height to free up floor space. I lay plywood down which allows me to use entire deck for storage.
In your case it could be used to raise your stuff up to the second story for unloading like an elevator.
90cummins

Last edited:
   / Need a lift idea #16  
In 2005 I built a 40x60 Garage and installed 2 lifts.
My heavy lift is a Mohawk 2 post rated at 10,000 lbs.
my second lift is a 4 post rated at 8,000lbs and is extra Long and high.
The 4 post is primarily used for storage of my truck in the winter and
Miscellaneous stuff during the summer.
It can be moved loaded with the optional casters enabling you to put it in a corner then raising to full height to free up floor space. I lay plywood down which allows me to use entire deck for storage.
In your case it could be used to raise your stuff up to the second story for unloading like an elevator.
90cummins

This is similar to what my cousin did in his shop. The lift is beside the storage area. It's a two post lift and he just sets the heavier stuff on one arm and swings it over onto his storage area once the load is high enough. He built a small detachable platform for the arm.

Might be an excuse to buy a lift!

/ Need a lift idea #18  
I have a friend who had a similar problem as the OP. He went out and found a small fork lift mast and bolted it to the floor and added a platform to the forks. Gives him the height and lift capability to put anything the floor of the upper structure will support up there.

This mast came off of a small fork truck that was no longer in service and had a bad engine. Wasn't worth fixing. He powered it with a small electric AC motor. Works like a charm. When not in use, he leaves the platform in the raised position so, it's out of the way.

Might be something for you to consider. He got the whole mast with forks and hydraulic cylinder for scrap pricing.

Rams
I have a small walk behind forklift that we use out in the shop which would be the cat's meow for doing that. If you watch Craigslist one with a 2000 pound capacity that will lift 12 feet in the air can be found for $1,000 to $2,000. The one I got needed new batteries which I got from a local golf cart place, they were used ones that had been turned in but were still decent. I paid $40 a piece for them.

Aaron Z

/ Need a lift idea #20  
Here is one in the OPs area, its a push around, not a power drive like the one we have, but it would be a lot easier than cranking a hand crank one up: Electric Fork Lift Stacker plus 3 units HD Shelving - business/commercial - by owner - sale
01111_4D4Fem9BG1L_600x450.jpg

Aaron Z