Need a lift idea

/ Need a lift idea #1  

kc5dlo

Gold Member
I have a 30x50 metal building with living quarters on one side, (think 15x50). Above the living area is my storage area. I did build stairs to get up there but would like to have some sort of lift to get some of the seldom used items up there easily and back down if needed. For instance I rarely use my table saw and would love to store it upstairs but it is too awkward to try and carry it upstairs. The easiest thing might be building a platform to mount on some pallet forks for the tractor. Problem with that idea is my shop is too cluttered right now to get the tractor inside and I might downsize to a compact tractor soon and am not sure it could lift the 9 or so feet to the storage level. Any ideas on what works well?

/ Need a lift idea #2  
Kids:laughing:

/ Need a lift idea #3  
I'll be watching this thread... I have 1700 sqft of floored & lighted space 'upstairs' that I can't get to. Considered a stairway, but would LIKE to have a lift. Scissor lift might would suffice but hesitate to lay out the bucks until I know the best, aka cheapest workable, solution.

/ Need a lift idea #4  
Other than manual labor...
Do you have a main beam at the top to attach a chain and hoist???
You could build a platform similar to a dumbwaiter and then attach this to a chain and hoist to get the items up to the top...

/ Need a lift idea #5  
Swinging jib crane mounted up there. Surface elevator cut into the floor space. Hinged ramp.

/ Need a lift idea #6  
I’m with chain and hoist. Maybe even couple that idea with a rail the length of the area attached to the beam where the hoist can slide back and forth. Better yet what about a crane? Like I see some of my handicapped folk use out of the back of their trucks to swing their wheelchairs back and forth to them. U could mount it to the second floor “balcony”. Just the base and swing arm/crane,pulley ie hardware. U could use an electric winch and thread the cable thru the pulleys

/ Need a lift idea #7  
I知 with chain and hoist. Maybe even couple that idea with a rail the length of the area attached to the beam where the hoist can slide back and forth. Better yet what about a crane? Like I see some of my handicapped folk use out of the back of their trucks to swing their wheelchairs back and forth to them. U could mount it to the second floor 澱alcony? Just the base and swing arm/crane,pulley ie hardware. U could use an electric winch and thread the cable thru the pulleys

The problem with just a chain hoist is that it's always in the wrong position. Either it is aligned with the ground or with the upper deck. When it's time to load or unload, you have to swing the hook out on an angle that often leads to disaster. The swinging jib is a rotating chainfall or cranked block & tackle that lets you suspend the hook directly over the object in both loaded and unloaded locations. For something as light as a table saw or mower deck, you could make one out of timbers and a boat winch.

/ Need a lift idea #8  
Other than manual labor...
Do you have a main beam at the top to attach a chain and hoist???
You could build a platform similar to a dumbwaiter and then attach this to a chain and hoist to get the items up to the top...

I have a friend who had a similar problem as the OP. He went out and found a small fork lift mast and bolted it to the floor and added a platform to the forks. Gives him the height and lift capability to put anything the floor of the upper structure will support up there.

This mast came off of a small fork truck that was no longer in service and had a bad engine. Wasn't worth fixing. He powered it with a small electric AC motor. Works like a charm. When not in use, he leaves the platform in the raised position so, it's out of the way.

Might be something for you to consider. He got the whole mast with forks and hydraulic cylinder for scrap pricing.

Rams

/ Need a lift idea #9  
I’m with chain and hoist. Maybe even couple that idea with a rail the length of the area attached to the beam where the hoist can slide back and forth. Better yet what about a crane? Like I see some of my handicapped folk use out of the back of their trucks to swing their wheelchairs back and forth to them. U could mount it to the second floor “balcony”. Just the base and swing arm/crane,pulley ie hardware. U could use an electric winch and thread the cable thru the pulleys

This was my idea too. Either mounted on a track or a simple pole and boom.

If that’s too much money a block and tackle with a prusik or other braking device will get the job done.

For some reason hoarding isn’t hoarding when it’s in the shop or barn. We aren’t crazy- they are crazy!

/ Need a lift idea #10  
It's gonna cost no matter what. A chain hoist with that high of lift may be hard to find. Using a chain hoist may work but you would need an I-beam across the building and attach the hoist to a trolley. I use to have a setup like that in my auto shop and it worked great for pulling engines. Not as good as an engine crane though.

You might look into residential elevators and see if one of those is in your required weight capacity and price range. A google search turned up a unit with a 600 lb capacity for under 4 grand.