Took the plunge. Finally going solar!

/ Took the plunge. Finally going solar! #1  

Soldier415

Platinum Member
Tractor
2001 Kubota L3010GST. 2005 Kubota L3430HSTC
7.6KW 22 panel roof mount system with net metering and the option to add in Tesla Power Wall battery system later.

After looking at the numbers, it was a no brainer. For the same amount we pay the utility for power each month we could be paying the loan on a system we own and then be energy independent with no power bill once it is paid off. Not to mention increasing the value of our home.

We also get a federal tax credit of 30% of the system cost.

If you haven't looked into going solar, I highly recommend it. You might be surprised at what the numbers look like.

/ Took the plunge. Finally going solar! #2  
I'm not sure how practical solar is in a northern state like Vt. I've known several people who thought they could go off-grid, and they ended up running a generator a lot more than they thought they would, especially in the fall & winter. Can you reduce your reliance on the grid? Yeah, but ISTM the payback period is gonna be quite long, probably coinciding with the need to replace the batteries.

/ Took the plunge. Finally going solar! #3  
I looked into both solar and wind. Final analysis for my location indicated I could not go 100% off the grid using just one or using both combined.

/ Took the plunge. Finally going solar! #4  
Did you buy a professionally installed system? I’m in the market for something or my off the grid hunting camp. Biggest draw is my 220 VAC pump. Other than that, just led lighting and an occasional power tool or charger.

/ Took the plunge. Finally going solar! #5  
7.6KW 22 panel roof mount system with net metering and the option to add in Tesla Power Wall battery system later.

After looking at the numbers, it was a no brainer. For the same amount we pay the utility for power each month we could be paying the loan on a system we own and then be energy independent with no power bill once it is paid off. Not to mention increasing the value of our home.

If you haven't looked into going solar, I highly recommend it. You might be surprised at what the numbers look like.

Does VT offer a state tax credit?

Later,
Dan

/ Took the plunge. Finally going solar! #6  
... Yeah, but ISTM the payback period is gonna be quite long, probably coinciding with the need to replace the batteries.

Yep, batteries used to be the big, hidden cost of solar/wind power. As lithium batteries drop in price they will be a game changer. However, there are different Lithium battery chemistries out there, and the last time I read Tesla's spec on their wall battery, they only said "Lithium." Tesla also would not warrant the wall battery if it was grid connected like the OP and most people would want to do. Maybe Musk will change the warranty someday.

Later,
Dan

/ Took the plunge. Finally going solar! #8  
We went solar a few years ago and love the savings, the second biggest saving was changing over our off peak hot water service to a heat pump, it draws 1500w as opposed to 5.5kw and even when overcast the solar will run it.
Our bills have dropped from about AU$1200 a quarter pre solar to $150, the old hot water service was just over half of our expense.
With rebates we paid AU$6k for solar but they have since come down to about AU$4.5k for a 5kw system fully installed, I would love a Tesla battery but they are cost prohibitive at the moment.

/ Took the plunge. Finally going solar! #9  

Please share numbers if you do not mind. Living in coal country along with two active power plants our electric rates are some of the least expensive in the US so it probably wouldn't make as much sense for us vs. living somewhere like vermont where I suspect power bills are atrocious. What do you do for heat?

/ Took the plunge. Finally going solar! #10  
A long time friend of mine went solar.. he told me it was a no-brainer too..
With the Fed & State tax credits/rebates, it was "basically" free.. {South Carolina}
BUT.. he does like to embellish his stories quite a bit.. Lol