Selling Rural Land and House

/ Selling Rural Land and House #1  

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
I know a lot of new rural land owners come to TBN after they have bought their land, so this is a good place to find out what is important when a buyer is looking for rural land.

I'm beginning to prepare my rural homestead to sell next year. This web site had 14 tips to prepare the land to sell. Do you agree with them, which are most important and what would you remove or add to the list? What was/is important to you when you were looking for your rural place?

[FONT=&quot]"Here are fourteen tips for sellers of a farm, or rural property.[/FONT]

1. Keep the grass in yards, pastures, food plots, and other open areas clipped and presentable.
  2. If there is landscaping and beds on the property, clean them out, freshen up the ground cover with new pine straw or bark.
  3. Trim up trees and shrubs around the home and the barns.
  4. Trim up any limbs that block views, hinder travel down a road, or may be endangering structures.
  5. Trim fence lines and keep them looking neat. This is very important around homes, barns, and road frontages. Spray fence lines to control the overgrowth of vegetation.
  6. Clear off porches and the areas around a home. Any items that do not belong in that area should be placed somewhere else.
  7. Any farm equipment on the property should be neatly arranged and the grass maintained in that area. If there is farm equipment around barns or shed, keep it from distracting from the view of a barn or pasture if possible.
  8. If the property has ponds, creeks or streams: make sure that some of the water can be seen from a distance. Also make sure that the potential buyers can walk to the water. If you have ponds it is best to keep them clipped and possibly weedeat around them.
  9. If you have animals that can be dangerous or a nuisance during a showing, make plans for them prior to showings. A large barking dog or a horse that likes to bite can make a property difficult to show.
  10. Inside the home should be presentable at the showing. We understand that you may reside on a property we are marketing, just make it as neat as possible prior to a showing. Pay close attention to the area around the doors that lead into the house, kitchens, and bathrooms.
  11. If any of the property has trash or debris laying around, remove it as soon as possible. This includes junk and trash in barns and sheds on the property.
  12. If any brush piles exist, they should be burned and removed. Remember to obtain the proper permits before burning.
  13. If there are areas that are overgrown with brush, briars, privet, or kudzu, make arrangements to clean it up and then plant grass back in the cleared areas.
  14. Any areas of open dirt or fresh ground needs to have something planted on it."
[FONT=&quot]https://www.landthink.com/tips-for-farm-and-rural-property-sellers/#comments[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

/ Selling Rural Land and House #2  
Well - that's the buildings, home, fences etc. Its highly unlikely you will find a buyer with cash - this means financing thru a bank. Check with your local bank and see what they say about requiring a current survey of the property. How current does the survey have to be. Plan accordingly.

/ Selling Rural Land and House #3  
Basically the tips are clean and declutter property.
Not sure if seller will pay extra for property that has proper survey.
Many sellers have house inspected and repaired prior to listing for sale

/ Selling Rural Land and House #4  
Oh - Streetcar, its not the seller or the buyer that most likely will require a recent survey. The BANK that is loaning the money will probably require a current survey.

/ Selling Rural Land and House #5  
I checked into that when an unsurveyed local property was for sale. They said they are financing the legal description, on paper, and it is up to the owner to get a survey to see where the actual boundaries are, on the land.

Bruce

Last edited:
   / Selling Rural Land and House
I went around with the surveyor 20 years ago and put a red 2' piece of rebar at each of his points. If that is not acceptable another survey is expected to re-verify those points. Property shape is a rectangle with boundary points marked every hundred yards or so.

/ Selling Rural Land and House #7  
Minerals?

Wetlands?

Easements?

Yes, I have all minerals.
No wetlands.
Water and electrical easements are along the front of property with the electrical easement extending to the house. No pipelines or high power electrical lines.

Good things to keep track of and mention in sales add.

/ Selling Rural Land and House #9  
Pretty common stuff. Your targeted customer will be someone similar to yourselves who might want a weekend retreat or retire from the big city.

Don, no disrespect and to each their own, but if it we're me, I would be looking for improved pastures. But that's me. Someone else may love the natural look.

PS I'm my opinion is usually worth .02 or so.

Don, no disrespect and to each their own, but if it we're me, I would be looking for improved pastures. But that's me. Someone else may love the natural look.

I understand that completely. There are advantages to each type but it comes down to what how the buyer anticipates he will enjoy the land or profit from it. Hopefully I can find someone that likes little parks all over instead of one large park.