Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #1  

two_bit_score

Super Star Member
Texas - from the brush and pear to the piney woods
Tractor
John Deere 110 TLB, Diamond C 19LPX GN trailer
I actually thought this might have been a Fake News story for a minute!

‘I don’t even know HOW’: Some Oregonians panic about new self-service gas law

>>>>選 don稚 even know HOW? Some Oregonians panic about new self-service gas law

By Kristine Phillips
January 3, 2018 at 5:45 PM

A new law that took effect this week in Oregon will allow residents in rural counties to pump their own gas a divergence from the state痴 decades-long history of having attendants pump gas for drivers.

Under House Bill 2482, which took effect Monday, retailers in counties with a population of less than 40,000 are allowed to have self-service gas pumps. Drivers in 15 counties can now pump their own gas any time of day, while those in three other rural counties can do so after business hours, between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m.

The Internet machine roared, fueled by a local TV station痴 now-viral Facebook post asking people to react to the new law. Some commenters were angry and perturbed by the possibility of having to pump their own gas in the cold, while those from other states scoffed.<<<<<<

Talk about entitled!?

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #2  
Told this story on here before. NJ is also a state that has attendants pump gas. I didn't know that and had traveled there for work, had a rental, etc. On way back to the airport, I stopped to fill up. Got out of the car and started getting ready to grab the nozzle and a guy came running at me telling me I can't pump my gas. I was shocked and wondering what was wrong with this guy.

I told him I sure could and it took me a minute of arguing with him to understand that I wasn't allowed to. Had never lived anywhere like that and have always pumped my own gas. Was really funny afterward. But as I've said before, their gas in NJ is till almost as cheap as our gas here in SC. Surprising really.

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #3  
My daughter went to collage on the Eastern shore of Maryland. A lot of Jersey girls attended same school. My daughter had to show them how to pump gas. Unbelievable !!!

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #4  
It has nothing to do with being entitled. They just aren't used to it. I remember well when the first self service stations popped up here in Indiana and everyone's parents taking their kids to the gas station to show them how to pump gas for themselves and save a whopping 2 cents per gallon over full serve.

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas
It has nothing to do with being entitled. They just aren't used to it. I remember well when the first self service stations popped up here in Indiana and everyone's parents taking their kids to the gas station to show them how to pump gas for themselves and save a whopping 2 cents per gallon over full serve.

The article tends to promote the “entitlement” idea: ““I’ve lived in this state all my life and I REFUSE to pump my own gas . . . This [is] a service only qualified people should perform. I will literally park at the pump and wait until someone pumps my gas.”

By the time the law took effect, Oregon had become a virtual laughingstock among social media users......”

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #6  
The article tends to promote the “entitlement” idea: ““I’ve lived in this state all my life and I REFUSE to pump my own gas . . . This [is] a service only qualified people should perform. I will literally park at the pump and wait until someone pumps my gas.”

By the time the law took effect, Oregon had become a virtual laughingstock among social media users......”

WOW! I guess that is entitled!!

Jeeves, bring the Bentley around. :laughing:

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #7  
I read some of the FB comments. Pretty good comedy, there.

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #8  
I grew up in NJ and as a teen and into my late 20's I worked at a few gas stations as a mechanic. We always stopped what we were working on in the garage and went out to pump gas for anyone who pulled in. We also checked their oil and cleaned the windshield. Since I worked there I always pumped my own. I always thought it was just a service we provided. In my late 20's I moved to NY and also pumped my own gas there. A few months later I drove back to NJ to visit relatives. I stopped at a gas station and got out to fill the truck. I had reset the pump and almost made it to the tank when a guy came running out hollering at me to stop. I asked what the problem was and he told me I couldn't pump my own gas. I told him I've been pumping my own gas for years. It was then he told me it was law that I couldn't. All those years I lived and worked in NJ I never knew it was a law.

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas
   / Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #10  
What many are forgetting is that this new law applies only in sparsely settled areas where the only alternative was waiting till the next day to get gas. Stations can't afford to hire someone to work all night to maybe pump gas for a car or two.

If you don't live there and need gas at night, your gas will still be pumped by an attendant.

Bruce