Homelite Splitter or DR Rapid-fire K10

/ Homelite Splitter or DR Rapid-fire K10 #1  

Old Red

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800 HDC
So I don't split a lot of wood, mostly blowdowns that get in the way or fall in my field or trees I am ready to remove that are still standing but dead here at the house. I split it with my Fiskar's X27 after cutting into manageable rounds. I have the itch for an electric splitter. I just DO NOT want another engine is why I am interested in electric. I have way too many engines as it is now. Here are 2 I am contemplating.

So the Home Depot Homelite 5 Ton Splitter seems to get a LOT of very nice reviews from various sources....Hearth Forums and Home Depot's website reviews. Something like 800 reviews. Tons of youtube videos.
Homelite 5-Ton Electric Log Splitter-UT4913 - The Home Depot

The DR K10 kinetic splitter has 63 mostly positive reviews but those are only on the DR website and no where else.
Log Splitter K1 Electric | DR Power Equipment

I am leaning toward the Homelite because of the positive reviews on forums and youtube as well as the seller's website. There was a recent forum post here on TBN about electric log splitters in December and it went in a direction of converting a gas to an electric and kind of got off track. I am not wanting to do anything like that. I just want to split some wood and not have a lot of money tied up in it and I am fairly confident I want electric.

One thing to note is the DR is on sale right now for $499 including shipping and that seems pretty darn reasonable for one of those kinetic type splitters. I believe Generac has one that is rebranded and marginal reviews.

So I am reaching out to you folks for some tips and advice. I know you guys have split enough wood in a weekend what I will do in a lifetime....I have never owned a splitter nor have I split a lot of wood. I own 110 acres and basically 100 of it is kentucky hardwoods. Thanks for the tips...

/ Homelite Splitter or DR Rapid-fire K10 #2  
How big are the pieces of wood you need to split and what species wood?

/ Homelite Splitter or DR Rapid-fire K10 #3  
I have a gas splitter, so I can't comment owning an electric splitter, but the DR K10 gets my vote. The electric motor is used to spin the flywheel, and the flywheel does the actual work of splitting wood. I've seen their gas flywheel splitter in action, and it was impressive. But if you think you will be splitting a fair amount of wood, I would bite the bullet and get a gas machine. Good ones require minimal maintenance. Mine starts on 1-2 pulls every time, even after sitting for months.

/ Homelite Splitter or DR Rapid-fire K10
I will split whatever falls in my way or dies that needs to come down.

I am leaning toward that Kinetic one for the "wow" and "cool" factor.

/ Homelite Splitter or DR Rapid-fire K10 #5  
I bought a Homelite 5 Ton Splitter two years ago and kick myself for not having bought one years ago. I could have saved my body a lot of aches and pains.

I have 18" cordwood cut and split. The Homelite has yet to bog down splitting down the 1/2's and 1/4's down to kindling size; even the real gnarly stuff. It is heavy (~100#'s), it probably takes ~5 seconds to go full cycle. It is pretty low to the ground; I have to sit on a bath stool to operate it, but I have a personalized setup that works for me.

I am really glad I have one. It's $ well spent.

/ Homelite Splitter or DR Rapid-fire K10
Well Gang, I ordered the DR K10 kinetic splitter this evening. I will report back my findings if anyone is interested....

/ Homelite Splitter or DR Rapid-fire K10 #7  
Congrats. Let us know how you like it. I think you will like how quickly it splits.

/ Homelite Splitter or DR Rapid-fire K10 #8  
Price is right. Hope you like it. waiting for your first hundred cord reply. If you have any Ash with the emerald bore you will soon be busy.

/ Homelite Splitter or DR Rapid-fire K10 #9  
Geoduck- Good luck with your new splitter.

/ Homelite Splitter or DR Rapid-fire K10 #10  
I only know of two folks that bought the DR, both split a fair amount of wood and both had a lot of problems with their splitter.

DR keeps sending them parts because the splitters are near new, so one guy finally sold his, the other guy made changes/improvements in his splitter and is saving up for a Super Split, it's of known quality...

The SS aren't made in china like the DR's...

Perhaps you won't be splitting as much wood as they do and won't have as many problems...

SR