Fruit trees falling over ?

/ Fruit trees falling over ? #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
I have two rows of various fruit trees, about 14 trees in all. Two of the trees have started to lean considerably. Closer inspection reveals that the trunk is not solid in the ground. Grabbing the trunk, I can roll it around. The hole in the ground shows about a 2inch gap all around the trunk if I stand the tree upright. These trees have been in the ground for about 5 years and are about 3 to 4 inch diameter at the base. I've noticed quite a bit of Ant activity in and around these trees. Could they have something to do with this? The trees are surrounded by cedar mulch.

I have staked these trees in an effort to save them. Any thoughts ?

/ Fruit trees falling over ? #2  
Would guess that the ants may be having an effect if the root ball is not seated after that number of years. Perhaps lots of water with a little chlorine ???? Keping the area around the tree well cultivated??? Both are guesses.

Egon

/ Fruit trees falling over ? #3  
Sorry to hear about your dilemna.
Not sure what you mean by "surrounded" by mulch. If just the ground around the tree is covered in mulch, then I wouldn't think the mulch would enter in here, but if the planted root ball is surrounded by mulch then the roots from the ball have not likely grown into the surrounding soil to 'fasten the tree.

If root balls, was the covering removed adequately for root growth to expand? Were the trees root bound from the nursery so the roots are still entangled in a 'ball'? Was the surrounding ground around the root ball good enough (always well watered) for roots to establish and grow into it? Were the trees allowed to move about (not staked enough to restrict movement) so the roots could grow out?

Most of these questions are probably obvious to you, but are questions that may help with an answer to why they are 'falling over'. I'd kill the ants, but doubt they are the culprit, only another 'result'.

My suspicion is that the trees were balled, the ball wasn't adequately removed, and/or the trees were watered just around the trunk, and the surrounding ground was too dry for roots to venture out there, thus leaving the ball 'high and dry' and loose.

/ Fruit trees falling over ?
To clarify:

The mulch is just on the ground under the tree.

Trees were potted when purchased. The pots were removed before planting.

The trees were staked for the first two years.

The soil in this area is pretty good. Not much clay or rock.

The only water they get is what nature supplies.

/ Fruit trees falling over ? #5  
Sounds like those trees should be good and firm and real happy. Sorry to hear that they are not. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Fruit trees falling over ? #6  
Sorry to hear about your trees. If they are well rooted, I doubt that the ants have anything to do with it unless they are attacking the trees themselves. To me it sounds more like "wind rock". How has the weather been lately at your place ... a little beezy?

I know I had to restake one of our trees 2 years ago because the wind literally rocked it loose. I trimmed the top a little before staking to reduce the "sail" effect and the roots grew enough to restabilize it. It made it and is still producing. I'll may even get some fruit from it this year if the squirrels don't beat me to it again.