Setting Well Pressure

/ Setting Well Pressure #1  

beowulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3410 HST, J Deere riding mower
Background: Our well was put in about 31 years ago. About 22gpm - well depth at 450' and pump set at about 430'. I am guessing it is a fairly standard set up. Bladder tank, relief valve, pressure switch, service disconnect. We replaced the pump about 10 years ago, otherwise no other attention has been needed except to file the pressure relief switch contacts from time to time (and once to clean out a nest of ants), and to change the service disconnect after I discovered to my great surprise it did not shut off the current (that is another story).

Anyway, because I recently had to file the pressure relief switch contacts twice within a month, I decided to inspect and then replace the very old pressure relief switch. I did that, and all again works well except that it seems the pressure to the house and far-out-lying bibs is a bit less. It seems to be shutting off at about 55 lbs.

So my questions: What pressure is recommended for this set up? (I vaguely recall it is supposed to have, or did originally have, a 40 to 60 lb low to high range range). Also, I think the new switch came set at an 80 lb shutoff before I monkeyed with it to turn it down - thinking that was too high - but maybe not?
Is the pressure setting related to the particular bladder tank we have, or independent of that?
I know you can set the low and high ends of the cycling, but don't recall which of the two spring set ups is for which and which way to turn to make those adjustments (CW or CCW). No instructions found with the new switch, and can't read the label inside the pressure switch cover. But I have played around with this to set pressures, but a quick reminder here would be helpful. Otherwise I will play around with the switch to figure it out.

Thanks for any help.

/ Setting Well Pressure #2  
I think most people run a 30(on)-50(off) psi range; or a 40-60psi range. Switches are commonly sold as one or the other. I run a 30-60 psi range just to limit the number of start/stops.

Ask yourself: Is the "low" pressure you notice in the house all the time (even when ballast tank is fully charged, highest pressure) or is it just before pump turns on (at its lowest pressure). This may determine what setting you want to adjust.

The big spring/nut adjusts BOTH the turn on and turn off pressure (i.e. the span stays constant, your just sliding the range (limits)). Turning CW raises the limits. (Example turning CW you can raise the cut on/off from 30/50 to 40/60; the span between the on/off stays at 20psi.)

The little spring/nut adjusts the span. Turning it CW increases the span (or thinking of it in another way: turning it CW raises ONLY the cut-off pressure. (Example: turning this CW you can raise the cut on/off from 30/50 to 30/60, the span is now 30 psi)

With no water pressure, the air in your ballast tank should have a precharge of 2 psi less than your cut-on pressure. (Example: If cut-on is set to 30 psi, your ballast tank air should be 28 psi. This is measureed / adjusted when the water pressure is zero.

Cut off pressure should always be at least 5 psi less than the pump dead head pressure.

/ Setting Well Pressure
Coby, thank you for being so thorough and providing so much relevant information - explained perfectly. It is exactly what I needed. I am going to copy and print this and put it in my "well file" so I can refer to it in the future. I am not sure I would have ever figured it all out this precisely by trial and error. Thanks again.

/ Setting Well Pressure #4  
I think most people run a 30(on)-50(off) psi range; or a 40-60psi range. Switches are commonly sold as one or the other. I run a 30-60 psi range just to limit the number of start/stops.

Ask yourself: Is the "low" pressure you notice in the house all the time (even when ballast tank is fully charged, highest pressure) or is it just before pump turns on (at its lowest pressure). This may determine what setting you want to adjust.

The big spring/nut adjusts BOTH the turn on and turn off pressure (i.e. the span stays constant, your just sliding the range (limits)). Turning CW raises the limits. (Example turning CW you can raise the cut on/off from 30/50 to 40/60; the span between the on/off stays at 20psi.)

The little spring/nut adjusts the span. Turning it CW increases the span (or thinking of it in another way: turning it CW raises ONLY the cut-off pressure. (Example: turning this CW you can raise the cut on/off from 30/50 to 30/60, the span is now 30 psi)

With no water pressure, the air in your ballast tank should have a precharge of 2 psi less than your cut-on pressure. (Example: If cut-on is set to 30 psi, your ballast tank air should be 28 psi. This is measureed / adjusted when the water pressure is zero.

Cut off pressure should always be at least 5 psi less than the pump dead head pressure.

Pretty much what you said

Recommended ranges for residence:

30-50
40= 60

The 20 PSI difference is the optimum for pump performance and max tank delivery between on/off

Pressures over about 65 are not recommended for residence as that is hard on fixtures...of courswe that has been it as far back as I know. Modern fixtures probably wouldn't be botheree.

30-50 is what I run but doesn't run impulse sprinklers well down near shut off

To adjust pressure swith. Usual is for one tall screw and one short, Tall screw moves the range up/down, short I'm not sure about - might expand the range..

To set pre-charge, 2 psi below cut in: Shut off pump and run water until it quits running (lowest fixture), Add air to 2 psi below the cut-in.

/ Setting Well Pressure #5  
Pretty much what you said

Recommended ranges for residence:

30-50
40= 60

The 20 PSI difference is the optimum for pump performance and max tank delivery between on/off

Pressures over about 65 are not recommended for residence as that is hard on fixtures...of courswe that has been it as far back as I know. Modern fixtures probably wouldn't be botheree.

30-50 is what I run but doesn't run impulse sprinklers well down near shut off

To adjust pressure swith. Usual is for one tall screw and one short, Tall screw moves the range up/down, short I'm not sure about - might expand the range..

To set pre-charge, 2 psi below cut in: Shut off pump and run water until it quits running (lowest fixture), Add air to 2 psi below the cut-in.
I think one screw limits the upper (cutout) range, the other the lower (cutin) range.

/ Setting Well Pressure #7  
Coby, thank you for being so thorough and providing so much relevant information - explained perfectly. It is exactly what I needed. I am going to copy and print this and put it in my "well file" so I can refer to it in the future. I am not sure I would have ever figured it all out this precisely by trial and error. Thanks again.

Here is what you might do!
Copy the info, and tape the note (in permanent magic marker) to the side of your bladder tank.
Or....what I did: just wrote the info (in permanent magic marker) on the side of the bladder tank.

/ Setting Well Pressure #8  
I added a pressure gauge to the input of the hot water heater so I could see that everything was copacetic from inside the house:

P6240004.JPG

/ Setting Well Pressure #9  
I added a pressure gauge to the input of the hot water heater so I could see that everything was copacetic from inside the house:

View attachment 535214

Why do you want to know the inlet water pressure for your hot water tank?
Would you suspect it to be different than your cold water pressure throughout the building, or are you just trying to confirm what your overall house pressure is?
If you turn on any faucet, and the flow is weak, you will know that you have a pressure problem.
I can't see that reading the house inlet pressure is going to give you much useful pump/tank information.

/ Setting Well Pressure #10  
I can't see that reading the house inlet pressure is going to give you much useful pump/tank information.
The gauge is on the other end of the line from the tank at the well, that is outside a long way away. It shows me the pressure in the pressure tank and that everything is working right. If the pressure slowly drops when we aren't using water, there is a problem, like a leaking toilet flapper, fill valve or outside hydrant.

I also have a light at the well, that can be seen from the house, it comes on when the pump runs.

Last edited: