FEL/pallet forks as scaffolding

/ FEL/pallet forks as scaffolding #21  
I use the FEL as scaffolding all the time. It works great. Anyone who would rather set up scaffolding by themselves on an outdoor project is crazy. I used this setup for my roofing repair and to pressure wash the whole house. When it warms up I値l use it again to paint the house. Good luck lifting bags of shingles to the roof with scaffolding and making 5 second height changes. People like to focus on the very minor chance of a lift hose blowing while ignoring the chance of falling off the ladder. View attachment 535860

Same here!

Safety vs. using a ladder to work off of: Not even close.

Pics tell the story:

$25, IBC container with container removed and 1 minute with a sawzall:

sWV6ij7.jpg

You still have to use a ladder, but at least you have something to grab onto while going up and down. Note the 2x4 vertical support. Usually I use a 4x4 but it didn't fit in this situation. Being able to either support the platform or lock the cylinders is important and this is where most of the safety nazi's go nuts on.

rMIYE4T.jpg

Note the tool box; that way you can bring all of your supplies and tools and it's very handily available and totally safe. No dragging crap up and down ladders. Also note the anti-skid rubber mat; reduces the chance of slipping or tripping. Even if you do, the cage protects you falling off the platform.

Qspknmb.jpg

The only real downside to using a work platform off a tractor is if you can't get a tractor where you need to work (inside a building, a roof over a patio etc.)

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
   / FEL/pallet forks as scaffolding
FTG - that is really cool. Is that one of those liquid container cages?

/ FEL/pallet forks as scaffolding #23  
I can't possibly be the first think of this, so I am looking to see if ya'll have found a good platform to use when using your pallet forks as scaffolding.

I will be insulating and putting plywood up for my ceiling in my barn and was about to find some scaffold to buy until I realized I could just use the tractor. The ceiling is only 14'.

I would likely put a ladder next to the forks to get up and down should I not have someone around to lower /raise the fel.

Thoughts?

I drilled holes through the forks webbing to run a round bar to support the ladder through the top rung. I lift the end of the ladder with a sling when changing positions. The bar extends through either side of the forks and I keep in in the forks when not in use.

Attachments

• 20161125_153240.jpg
    20161125_153240.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 280
  • 20161125_153212.jpg
    20161125_153212.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 231
   / FEL/pallet forks as scaffolding #24  
FTG, pretty slick!! Bob

/ FEL/pallet forks as scaffolding #25  
What's the problem ? This guy didn't think of a parachute for the 35' drop. What Me WorDSCN0386.JPGry ?

/ FEL/pallet forks as scaffolding #26  
   / FEL/pallet forks as scaffolding #27  
When I'm working on a ceiling I like my head to be 6" to a foot below, depending on the task. So for a 14' ceiling you want to be 7-7.5' off the floor. That's not that high, although you could still hurt yourself falling.

I've used the bucket as a scaffold, but I don't like it, it tends to move under my weight. You want something rock solid below you. Especially if you're pushing around sheets of plywood. For putting up insulation I think it might be quicker to use a step ladder, I think you could go up and down a step ladder and move it quicker than moving a tractor and getting in and out of the bucket.

If you're putting up plywood, how are you getting the sheets up? I'd think of some way of using the tractor bucket as a panel lift to put the panels in place against the ceiling, and then go up on a step ladder to fasten them in place. Step in the bucket as needed to put fasteners in.

/ FEL/pallet forks as scaffolding #28  
We use our forklift with a dumpster chained to it to change light bulbs in the shop on a regular basis. We just don't drive around with a person in the up position, just lower it and then move to where you need to be and then lift it again. Only thing with a tractor is I would be more comfortable with a self leveling loader.

/ FEL/pallet forks as scaffolding #29  
You should be able to rent a simple drywall lift? Won't be much.

/ FEL/pallet forks as scaffolding
You should be able to rent a simple drywall lift? Won't be much.

Yeah, but I will likely do the project over many weekends or whenever I get time so rental won't really work. So, I'll end up buying some scaffold or try one of the methods posted by others to see how it works.