FEL/pallet forks as scaffolding

/ FEL/pallet forks as scaffolding #1  

Einthewoods

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I can't possibly be the first think of this, so I am looking to see if ya'll have found a good platform to use when using your pallet forks as scaffolding.

I will be insulating and putting plywood up for my ceiling in my barn and was about to find some scaffold to buy until I realized I could just use the tractor. The ceiling is only 14'.

I would likely put a ladder next to the forks to get up and down should I not have someone around to lower /raise the fel.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
   / FEL/pallet forks as scaffolding #2  
Einthewoods,
Personal injury attorneys love folks such as yourself. That said do not enlist anyone to assist you, the platform must be securely attached to the forks. No shifting or movement. A guardrail system must encircle the platform with a gate at ladder access. The ladder must be tied to the platform. Tractor lift and tilt cylinders need safety fittings that seal if a hose ruptures. As an individual you are NOT subject to OSHA regulations. Since many violation fines begin with six digits, a contractor would rent or own a scissor lift. Make sure your will and health insurance is current, in the event you survive the fall. Good Luck, seriously.

/ FEL/pallet forks as scaffolding #3  
I think majorwager is telling you - its not the best idea. The chances of injury happening are multiple times greater if a tractor is used as opposed to scaffolding. But as an individual - it is your choice.

/ FEL/pallet forks as scaffolding #4  
Yes it is done, I converted an old expanded metal trailer ramp/tailgate for such use. I welded hoops that the forks go through, and strap it to the fork frame. But failure of any hydraulic system, or accidental movement of control can result in the platform crashing down. Keep that in mind, and be willing to accept those risks, and have at it. Oh, be darn sure you have enough counter weight/ballast.

/ FEL/pallet forks as scaffolding #5  
A vinyl siding pallet is 12' long and most have solid tops , a chain to lock it to the forks and your good to go. Your going to get a lot of safety advise because as a society we have become dependent on being told what we should do. If your uncomfortable then rent scaffolds . It is done everyday by hundreds if not thousands of people that need to get a job done.

/ FEL/pallet forks as scaffolding #6  
You are considering a non-OSHA approved man lift. If you have anyone you pay injured while working in this Rube Goldberg apparatus the legal system can take everything you have.

Hydraulic lines can rupture at any second, dropping the FEL instantly and depositing anyone in the bucket into the collapsing FEL framework. There is no fail safe backup on a tractor, as there is on all OSHA approved man lifts.

In the event of a reported accident, even if you are not sued, OSHA can issue a malpractice citation which will cost you big money.

/ FEL/pallet forks as scaffolding #7  
Two points.

Plywood on the ceiling is not the best idea. It will cost a little more but liner panel metal sheets are lighter, easier to install, permanently painted in white. In a few years you will wish you used metal if you put up plywood.

Scaffold is much safer and easier to use than the FEL. I bought to used sections of rolling bakers scaffold and a high lift drywall lift to do my pole barn. I clamped the two sections of scaffold together to give a larger working platform. You may need to sections to get the height you need. My ceiling is just 12 feet. I'm not the most comfortable person with heights so I found having a larger working platform to be much more secure.

As an alternative, you might consider building a platform on your truck bed. I would do that before I used the FEL.

/ FEL/pallet forks as scaffolding #8  
The contractor who did my last house had a metal “basket” that was about 8’ wide and had slots for the forks. The railing could come off on the one side for working on siding. It looked like a good idea.
People are up in hydraulic buckets all the time. Firefighters are up in ladders that are hydraulic that can go over 100’. I’m sure some type of failure could lead to injury and or death. However I’d hate to see you scared off of building a proper platform and renting say an A frame ladder. I’ll take the platform all day long- way easier and safer than you hiking stuff up a ladder.
Btw- if you hired it done the contractor would use scaffolding with wheels. That’s also an option if you can find someone who will rent it.

/ FEL/pallet forks as scaffolding
So far what I am hearing is that it is a great idea and full steam ahead! LOL

Thanks for the feedback.