Countertops

/ Countertops #11  
We have Silestone counters in our kitchen. They have been there for probably 17 years and look just like new. They are not quartz, but a similar concoction of crushed stone and resin. We chose those because of the available colors, and the price was less than natural stone slabs. I think the wife would go with soapstone now, but not for any performance reasons. The Silestone has been great.
Another vote for soapstone IF YOU CAN FIND IT.

There are a couple of threads on here about soapstone. One of the main problems is that after the recession it seems ALL the small producers have been bought up and are owned by one or two conglomerates and they have tripled the prices since they have a monopoly.

The average guy with a good circular saw can cut and trim soapstone.

/ Countertops #12  
My wife's grandparents had a soapstone sink. It was nice looking, however, it had some deep scratches. I've always wondered how durable it would be as a counertop material in regards to scratching.

/ Countertops #13  
I've had quarts and granite countertops. The quarts is by far more durable. Our granite top around the sink has small chips gone from being hit with large pots or pans. The quarts tops we had never did that. We are planning on building a new home on our property in the blackhills and will use quarts tops.

/ Countertops #14  
Granite is probably the most bang for your buck. Fairly inexpensive and pretty indestructible. We have had ours 4 years and looks like the day they installed it.

/ Countertops #15  
My formica is 20 yrs old and looks like new, just a lot of stuff sitting on it.

/ Countertops #16  
We are old school formica. Not sure ive seen granite or quartz.

I'm with you, buckeye. Formica has stood the test of time, easy and cheap to replace, just does the job counters are supposed to do. I hate hard counters and sinks that break my nice coffee cups!! Least little bump, bang, there goes another one of my nice collector cups that I use every day, rotating them around, "Hmmm, which of my cups do I want to drink my java from today?" is how I like to drink coffee. Having lived in Japan over 25 years, I had a small hobby of buying nice cups all over the country. Must have about 100 of them. Love'em!! Granite, cast iron sinks, etc. break my cups! Dagnabbedit. We have two houses, but still rent in another place that had tile and cast iron.

Oh, our formica counters I installed when I built new kitchen in 1998. Look like new. Nary a problem.

Also, for y'all boys who like to follow trends, latest trend is that granite is going out of "style." Heheheheheheeee... dated, as they say. "Ewwwwww, these granite counters will have to go. They are so 2010 era. We cannot have those." Says Mackenzie to Connor as they shop for a house in their $750,000 budget... Whew...

/ Countertops #17  
All our homes have had either formica or tile. Never a problem with either. In one home I replaced the formica with Boos cherry countertops, that was fine too. In another I put in Corian countertops to replace formica. That was also fine. If I do any more remodeling, I might think about either quartz or granite. Or maybe just go and see what Ikea has these days. I doubt there is any overwhelming practical or functional advantage to any of the choices available. My bottom line is formica though, simple to work with, long lasting, and inexpensive.

/ Countertops #18  
We just remodeled our house and I went with a formica countertop that we thought was very attractive. Our last one was over 30 years old and this one will outlast us and since we plan on living the rest of our lives here, we aren't worried about resale value.

DSC07728.JPG

/ Countertops #19  
Last sentence said it down: ...bottom line is formica. Now tally, see? That's wha' I'm talking about! Yes friends, Formica Brand®. Named after a famous Italian designer from the last century, B.B. Formica. Guaranteed to outlast you, even if you're a millennial.

/ Countertops #20  
My wife reminded me that I remodeled one of our kitchens with tile countertops and oak edging. That was actually our favorite for looks. When I was working, I did formica myself if the owners wanted it, anything else hired out. But as I say, it is basically a matter of looks. It is more of an sentimental decision than a practical one. Formica will do the job for decades and these days there are some amazing good looking patterns available, including quartz and granite.