Free standing gas stoves.

/ Free standing gas stoves. #1  

coobie

Tractor
Kubota RTV 1100c, JD 740,Kioti DK 40 with KL401 loader .
We have been burning wood pellets for the last 13 years that has been our main heat source with a propane furnace as back up.We are getting a little older now and getting tired of lugging the wood pellets indoors.We both love a good fire so we are considering a propane free standing gas stove to be installed late 2018.Would like to have at least 40,000 BTU output.Looking for suggestions what brand that is reliable.So far my research has led to Lopi,Jotul.

Last edited:
   / Free standing gas stoves. #2  
I know exactly what you are saying. As you "mature" those 40# bags get heavier and heavier. When we moved here in '82 - we started with a wood stove, then pellets and now electric heat. Our wood stove was a Lopi. It was a great stove - easy to load, produced good heat and built like a brick sh*t house. I can definitely recommend the Lopi brand.

/ Free standing gas stoves.
I know exactly what you are saying. As you "mature" those 40# bags get heavier and heavier. When we moved here in '82 - we started with a wood stove, then pellets and now electric heat. Our wood stove was a Lopi. It was a great stove - easy to load, produced good heat and built like a brick sh*t house. I can definitely recommend the Lopi brand.
We buy 6 tons per year hook up the 20 ft trailer then put the forks & ballast box on the tractor to boot.Used to be fun not so much now.LOL.

/ Free standing gas stoves. #4  
We have had 2 Lopi's and currently have a Jotul. Both are excellent stoves and well made. The Jotul we have has 2 doors. One in the front and the other as a side loader door, which is really nice and convenient for loading wood.

/ Free standing gas stoves. #5  
747, he talking about GAS stove. I am too, that's what I want next. At 69, back, heart, problems, I'm about done with wood, as much as I love wood heat. I'm also researching gas free standing stoves. That soapstone make, wha' Vermont (?) looks good too. Jøtul or Lopi also. We need to help each other here with research. Come on boys using gas stove, let us know...

/ Free standing gas stoves. #6  
Yeah...i realized that shortly after I posted !!

/ Free standing gas stoves. #7  
Gave up my pellet stove for the same reason!
We have a Vermont Castings Reliance gas stove with remote control.
Very nice & heavy.
90cummins

/ Free standing gas stoves.
Gave up my pellet stove for the same reason!
We have a Vermont Castings Reliance gas stove with remote control.
Very nice & heavy.
90cummins
What is the Max BTU output on your stove?Thanks..

/ Free standing gas stoves. #9  
I'll be installing a Lopi Greenfield gas stove in the next couple weeks...won't be cutting holes through stone and log wall just yet...too cold!
Will update when completed. Chose the Lopi for 40K BTU, great turndown ability, and three sides are glass. Replacing an older ventless gas stove installed by previous owner.

/ Free standing gas stoves. #10  
I replaced a wood stove with a Vermont Castings Reliance (propane) about 15 years ago.It is 38,000 BTU' s if I remember right.Start it in November and runs until spring.Mine is connected to a milli-volt thermostat and starts and stops by itself.Trouble free and easy.Just had my tanks filled this morning;I burn about 700 gallons per year but that also includes my propane unit heater in the garage.
Absolute best purchase I have made period.Best thing is that it requires no power to provide heat.I have a ceiling fan in the room that it is located and didn't purchased the small fan that installs in the stove itself.
Mine is a vented unit;they also make them unvented(my daughter has one and is happy with it).
My son also has the same unit in his house;mostly as a back-up for his out-side wood eater.