Cast Iron Cookware

/ Cast Iron Cookware #1  

buckbros

Bronze Member
Tractor
john deere LT180, John Deere GT235, 1950 Case Vac, 2 Gravely L Models
I am curious as to how everyone cleans their cast iron cookware? I use cooking oil & a little salt as an abrasive and scrub with a piece of potato. Seems to work fairly well.

/ Cast Iron Cookware #2  
Nylon brush and hot water with a coating of oil once it's dry. Never needs more than that for me...

/ Cast Iron Cookware #3  
One of those green/yellow scrubby pads & hot soapy water. Followed with a good rub down with olive oil.

/ Cast Iron Cookware #4  
One of those green/yellow scrubby pads & hot soapy water. Followed with a good rub down with olive oil.

I was taught/told long ago to not use soap on cast iron. I'm sure if you rinse well it's OK but the soap will supposedly get into the pores of the iron and affect the food taste.

/ Cast Iron Cookware #5  
Well - if that is the case, then most of us that eat out at restaurants that cook for us in cast iron cookware either rinse awfully well or we have become use to the flavor of soap.

I know of NO Health Dept that would dare allow the kitchen staff to simply rub down their cast iron cookware in hot water and call it clean. Quickest way in the world to get your commercial kitchen closed - -

Remember the "rules" governing what must be done in the home kitchen are not mandatory - you are not a public facility.

The "rules" that govern a commercial kitchen ARE mandatory - they are cooking for the public and public health is a serious concern.

/ Cast Iron Cookware #6  
Paper towel & salt if it's bad.

/ Cast Iron Cookware #7  
I was taught/told long ago to not use soap on cast iron. I'm sure if you rinse well it's OK but the soap will supposedly get into the pores of the iron and affect the food taste.
You was taught right!

NO soap is needed, HOT water (boiling if needed) and light scrubbing gets anything out that needs to be got out... Soap does take the seasoning out and that's what I'm trying to impart into all of my CI!

High heat sterilizes the pan, NO soap is needed...

SR

/ Cast Iron Cookware #8  
You was taught right!

NO soap is needed, HOT water (boiling if needed) and light scrubbing gets anything out that needs to be got out... Soap does take the seasoning out and that's what I'm trying to impart into all of my CI!

High heat sterilizes the pan, NO soap is needed...

SR
You hit the nail squarely on the head SR! That is the way I was taught by both my Great Aunt and Grandmother who were both born in the late 1800's and only used cast iron cookware.

/ Cast Iron Cookware #9  
I don't use CI for other than baking my cornbread and a hot water rinse while the skillet is hot usually cleans it. Sometimes a little scrubbing with a scotchbrite pad may be necessary. I cant use them on my range since it is a ceramic top electric but the do bake nice.

/ Cast Iron Cookware #10  
After use, I put water in the pan/pot and let it simmer. This usually get's 90% of anything off. After that I rarely ever need anything other than a sponge with the non-stick-safe scrubber on the back of the sponge. Sponge it out with water, put back on the stove (woodstove usually) to heat it back up with a bit of oil in it after the water evaporates to keep the season.