Tree ID help

/ Tree ID help #1  

NPurdy1112

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510 HST
Hello everyone,

Was cutting some trees down today and found one that I do not know what it is. We just moved to 20 acres in July so I am still learning my trees. Can anyone help ID from my picture? I will be going back out tomorrow and can get more/better pictures.

Thank you,
Nick

IMG_5305.JPG

IMG_5307.JPG

/ Tree ID help
Thank you guys!

I will be giving some or most to a friend to have milled.

/ Tree ID help #5  
Thank you guys!

I will be giving some or most to a friend to have milled.

Tend to bores before it is in storage for long. High heat or fumigation.

/ Tree ID help
I will relay the information.

He won't be over for at least a week to look at it. Then we cut, load, and haul to someone with a mill and kiln.

/ Tree ID help #7  
I’d start cutting firewood length pieces off the butt until you get to solid wood. It’s rotten and no good.

/ Tree ID help #8  
I thought Locust when I first saw it.. Not sure though.

/ Tree ID help #9  
Unfortunately, around here the only wild, native trees are Ponderosa pine. However, the pics the OP posted look very much like my old - 30 year - cherry trees. Definitely NOT anything like the black locust planted at many homesteads around here. If you move a few feet up the trunk and find solid wood - this wood could make excellent furniture or even musical instruments. For musical instruments - hard, very tight grained wood works best. Brazilian Rosewood is one of the very best amongst the hard wood varieties. Hard, tight grained cherry can come very close to rosewood.

/ Tree ID help #10  
Definitely Cherry......ants love it.