Eastern Mountain Lion Declared Extinct

/ Eastern Mountain Lion Declared Extinct #1  

BoylermanCT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Montana R2844, New Holland TC29D, Hustler X-One
Last one was seen in the wild in 1938. Mountain lions seen in the East since then have been western mountain lions that made their way east. Not sure of the difference between eastern and western mountain lions, but it strikes me that we failed when we drive them to extinction.

Eastern Mountain Lion Extinct.jpg

/ Eastern Mountain Lion Declared Extinct #2  
Someone is going to claim victory getting them off the endangered species list.

/ Eastern Mountain Lion Declared Extinct #3  
Unfortunately, in the 1930s, there were probably much more pressing matters. It is so sad.

/ Eastern Mountain Lion Declared Extinct #4  
Unfortunately, in the 1930s, there were probably much more pressing matters. It is so sad.

Like cutting all the timber. I’m not a tree hugger, but they were incredibly wasteful from the stories I’ve heard. They cut everything into 7x9 cross-ties and burnt all the slabs in a burn pile. If it wasn’t fit for a tie it was left to rot. I don’t remember what species of trees but they cut them and stripped the bark. The rest was left to rot. Then it was too much work to get the trees they’ve already cut home for firewood so they cut more for firewood. At least thats according to my grandpas stories. He worked at another operation that was more efficient. He said they sawed lumber from what wasn’t fit for crossties and fuelled the boilers with the waste. He said that mill cut 115,000 board feet a day.

/ Eastern Mountain Lion Declared Extinct #5  
Last one was seen in the wild in 1938. Mountain lions seen in the East since then have been western mountain lions that made their way east. Not sure of the difference between eastern and western mountain lions, but it strikes me that we failed when we drive them to extinction.

Really sad, Humans have no right to extinct entire species.

/ Eastern Mountain Lion Declared Extinct #6  
Like cutting all the timber. I’m not a tree hugger, but they were incredibly wasteful from the stories I’ve heard. They cut everything into 7x9 cross-ties and burnt all the slabs in a burn pile. If it wasn’t fit for a tie it was left to rot. I don’t remember what species of trees but they cut them and stripped the bark. The rest was left to rot. Then it was too much work to get the trees they’ve already cut home for firewood so they cut more for firewood. At least thats according to my grandpas stories. He worked at another operation that was more efficient. He said they sawed lumber from what wasn’t fit for crossties and fuelled the boilers with the waste. He said that mill cut 115,000 board feet a day.
Agree. Out here where I live when they first started logging trees were so plentiful that they considered any tree less than 3 feet diameter to be a weed and not worth harvesting. Now they harvest 12 inch diameter trees.

/ Eastern Mountain Lion Declared Extinct #7  
Agree. Out here where I live when they first started logging trees were so plentiful that they considered any tree less than 3 feet diameter to be a weed and not worth harvesting. Now they harvest 12 inch diameter trees.

Or less. I’ve got 2x4s with bark on 4 sides.

/ Eastern Mountain Lion Declared Extinct #8  
Or less. I’ve got 2x4s with bark on 4 sides.
I recall logging trucks fully loaded with one log. Now, nothing but poles.

/ Eastern Mountain Lion Declared Extinct #9  
Logging equipment heck of lot faster now a days compare 70+ years ago,but trees still grow at the same rate.

/ Eastern Mountain Lion Declared Extinct #10  
Indeed very...very sad. :(
What puzzle me is that were able to control wildlife to the end but we can't control ourselves. :ashamed: