equine dilemna!!

/ equine dilemna!! #1  

polecat

Platinum Member
Tractor
ISEKI TL3201 38h.p. 4x4
one of my horses got looe today and got into a bale of really!! moldy hay!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

any experiences with something like that !!!these guys will literally wipe out a field!! goldenrod,milkweed and rasberries and all but have neva bin into a bale of moldy hay tho!!!

any toughts or feedback on this newly arisen dilemna????

thanks ...TODD

/ equine dilemna!! #2  
Kind of surprised the horse would eat the moldy stuff. Our horses always turn there heads. I have heard that a horse could colic on moldy stuff. I would just keep an eye on it for a couple of days.

/ equine dilemna!! #3  
Horses colic very easily on moldy hay. I agree though unless they are starving horses will rarely eat moldy hay.

/ equine dilemna!! #4  
polecat

If they have eaten moldy hay I would suggest you look at their diets. Please don't take this as a critism but friendly help. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ equine dilemna!!
hay guys!!!got all the hay raked up that he drug round the place !!!! and guess what!!!! i think he made some or sumfn!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifhe jist spread it all over the place and there was jist bout a bale ...mayb even more left!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif..was just really worried so figured i'd git the quickest advice i know i could trust!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

so thanx guys!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ equine dilemna!! #6  
Unfortunate that horses are very likely to colic at dietary changes of any kind. Some are more tolerant than others.
I would watch for the next day for any signs of laying down more than the norm, not getting up when you come around, not walking when led, nipping or biting at thier own stomachs.

If they do stop moving and lay down a lot, not getting up, call the vet ASAP.

Watch the stools too. If it is not coming out, call the vet. The gut can flip over on tself, if it gets blocked. Once like that......

Best of luck. Now go keep an eye on them.

-Mike Z.

/ equine dilemna!!
Thank u mike and all!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ equine dilemna!! #8  
Todd, again you got lots of good advice. I agree to just keep an eye on the horse. If he's laying down more than usual it could be trouble. See if he'll get up for you, if he won't, call the vet, and in the meantime, try to get him up and walking until the vet comes. The movement will help prevent the intestines from turning.

In all likelyhood, he'll probably be ok, but just be safe. It sure is strange that he'd eat moldy hay. On very rare occasions, my horses won't touch some hay, and if I go over it VERY carefully, I might see the very beginings of mold. But they can smell it, and usually won't touch it.