Tree ID Help 2.0

/ Tree ID Help 2.0 #1  

NPurdy1112

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510 HST
Hello again,

Back with another ID help request. I have been told by multiple people, including here, that this tree is a black locust. Recently I was told that it could be a red elm. The twigs seem to match what comes up on google images for red elm, but the grain and color inside of the bark looks of black locust. The reason I would like an ID is so I can have the tree milled into fence and deck materials if it is in fact locust.

IMG_5329.JPG
unnamed.jpg
unnamed2.jpg
unnamed3.jpg
unnamed4.jpg

Thank you,
Nick

/ Tree ID Help 2.0 #2  
If you had not mentioned black locust I would have first thought black walnut based on both the wood and the bark...but the bark does look a bit more like locust

Most of the large black locust I've cut are more greenish inside than that dark...

/ Tree ID Help 2.0 #3  
Black Locust has small thorns.From what I see of your photos no thorns. Looks like red elm..russ

/ Tree ID Help 2.0 #4  
What have the leaves looked like in the past?

Elm and Locust leaves are VERY different.

Elm leaves are ~2-4" long.....shaped like a football.....saw-tooth edges....and very rough texture...not smooth/slippery like a maple leaf would be. Where as Locust leaves are compound leaves. Each "leaf" will look like its made up of a bunch of tiny leaves.

IMO, it doesnt look like locust to me. But cannot say for certain if its red elm or not either because just not enough info.

And it could also be walnut as another suggested.....but look on the ground around the tree......the absence of walnuts on the ground everywhere would rule that out.

/ Tree ID Help 2.0 #5  
At the extension office, I tell people to observed trees and shrubs over the 4 seasons and note what they see and then come back to us. I've misidentified my own trees in the past before I observed them over 4 seasons.

With it cut down, you cannot do that unless you can report back what you saw in the last year.

Ralph

/ Tree ID Help 2.0 #6  
I have a feeling that its elm. The bark is very similar to what I have on my property. Best way might be to try to split it elm is nasty at trying to split. It was often used as chair seats for that reason.

/ Tree ID Help 2.0 #7  
This may help a little. Its a tree bark ID site with a lot of pictures.
TreeBarkID.com - Tree Bark ID

The bark looks a lot like my black locust. Black locust doesn't have the large thorns that the other locust has, but it usually has some small ones in the branches. Never having seen red elm in person, I can't tell.

/ Tree ID Help 2.0 #8  
Also, from that site....

Push on the bark, is slightly soft and spongy?
Probably looking at an elm. Often have “feet” or "buttresses" at base of tree. Crown often curved off to one side.
Break off one of the bark segments.

Is the interior of the segment alternating white and dark red?
American Elm

Is the interior of the bark alternating red/red segments?
Red Elm (Slippery Elm)

/ Tree ID Help 2.0 #10  
Also, look around on the ground. If its locust, there should be leaves like this, or twigs of leaves like this under it. If you don't find any, its probably not locust....

0A558970-F390-49FF-A491-98C7A5ED3C01.jpeg