Getting firewood INTO the house.

/ Getting firewood INTO the house. #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
OK,

for 50 years, I've hauled wood into the house 1 armload at a time. For the last 10 years, I have used one of those leather slings which is 'easier' I guess... although I think all it really does is allow me to work just as hard, but in 1/2 the time. However, I don't see that leather sling as a real functional system when I'm 70 given I load it with 70-80lbs each time.

I am building a new house, and I'd like to have at least one if not more wood burning fireplaces in the house. And, if possible... I'd like to design something which not only gives me a good location for storing wood but also the easiest/cleanest way in which to get the wood into the house.

I don't want to pallet it into the garage. That idea wouldn't float past my wife for even a second. Nor do I really want to haul it arm by arm through the house from the garage.

I'd like your ideas about this issue.

The fireplace WON'T be on the outside wall on at least one FP. So a direct access from outside won't be an option, as much as I'd like it to be. My preference, at this point for storage, is to design a firebox storage directly next to the fireplace. I've seen these before, and it is nice access and out of the way. I dislike a big wood rack, but now that I think about it, perhaps a good 'mobile' wood rack with a specifically designed storage spot would work best... now that might be an idea. A nice forged dolly that can be rolled in and out of the house, but with an out of the way storage spot next to the fireplace..... hmmmmm.... this question might have an inherent answer.

Anyway... I'd like your thoughts and solutions to my issue.

/ Getting firewood INTO the house. #2  
Are you planning on a basement? If so, a dumbwaiter could work.

Steve

/ Getting firewood INTO the house. #3  
I like the way you think! Been there myself, and I agree that carrying wood one load at a time sucks.

From what you posted, there may be a great compromise by using BOTH methods... Build a cutout in the fireplace (firebox, you called it) where you can store as much wood as you think makes sense right next to the fireplace, AND build the rolling cart to transport the wood from the outside to the inside, designed so it will easily fit through your doorway. Then you can offload the wood into the firebox where it'll be nice and dry, convenient, and you won't have to break a sweat getting it there. Keep the cart outside so you won't have to look at it or trip over it. Win/win!

/ Getting firewood INTO the house. #4  
Or can you build a "hideaway" near the fireplace that a cart could roll right into and close the doors. The restacking of firewood from either your arm or a cart creates a lot of mess.

My fireplace is in the basement where I have a walkout. I use a convertible 2 wheel/4 wheel dolly to bring in wood and I can get about 1/10th of a cord on it. Then I roll it in and leave it on the dolly as I use it. Saves a lot of effort and mess.

If you want something nicer looking I would think like a luggage cart from a nice hotel type of thing that would hold a nice amount of wood. the other option is just a plain cart that you roll into a "closet" near the fireplace.

/ Getting firewood INTO the house. #5  
I found that with a plank about 5 feet long from the lawn to the deck, and a chunk of firewood under the step from the deck to the door I could roll my wheelbarrow straight into the house. About two loads is enough to fill the "ring" style rack, but I overload the wheelbarrow.

/ Getting firewood INTO the house. #6  
Have you tried one of these firewood carriers for carrying firewood into the house? I'm on my third one. They last about three years, then one of the dogs will decide to eat it. I have no idea how long they last if you don't have big dogs. I gave one to my Dad for Christmas last year and he loves it too. Simple, easy and clean.

Amazon.com: Large Canvas Log Tote Bag Carrier Indoor Fireplace Firewood Totes Holders Round Woodpile Rack Fire Wood Carriers Carrying for Outdoor Tubular Birchwood Stand by Hearth Stove Tools Set Basket: Home & Kitchen

/ Getting firewood INTO the house. #7  
Our stove is in our walk-in basement. Every day I roll a wheelbarrow full of wood in and park it a few feet in front of the stove door. I feed the fire from the wood in the wheelbarrow, and repeat the process daily. Very little mess made.

/ Getting firewood INTO the house. #8  
I carry firewood into the house in five gallon buckets which works well.

The problem is I just "store" them in front of the wood stove. :p The wife and I don't like it but it is very convenient to load the stove.

For storage, I would like to build a wood box, think of a tool bed truck box, that is big enough to hold the five gallon buckets of wood, AND is strong enough to sit on. I have even sketched up some plans but I never have the time to build the box. :rolleyes: :(:(:(

Later,
Dan

/ Getting firewood INTO the house. #9  
I only carry in what I’m going to throw in the fire place, to many bugs and saw dust for me to store it inside. I put a wheel barrow outside my front door and can put about a days worth of wood in it. It’s maybe a 15 foot walk and only feed the fire about once a hour. It doesn’t seem inconvenient to do it that way to me.

/ Getting firewood INTO the house. #10  
They make caddies specifically for firewood. I have one and it sure beats to arm load method.

Go to Amazon and search for "Landmann USA 82427 Log Caddy with Cover".

View attachment 540200