Clothes Lines

/ Clothes Lines
The 'Hills Hoist' is an iconic clothes line down here.

I have one and use it year round when the weather cooperates.

Looks way better built than the ones similar to that here. Had one when first in this house, just square-tube light gauge aluminum - doesn't stand up well to heavy loads over time.

Rgds, D.

/ Clothes Lines #12  
i used a couple of worn mower spindles

Attachments

• clothesline.jpg
    clothesline.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 133
   / Clothes Lines #14  
My Dad always built ours; out of about 4 inch pipe. He made two T's, about six foot tall, set in concrete and about 30 or so feet apart, with about four wires tightened by turnbuckles. Yep, Sharn Jean and I had similar ones in our first house; until the baby came along and I bought a used drier for $10.

I used 3" galv pipe from work for t-posts and nylon covered cable and turnbuckles. My wife never dries clothes in the drier, lines only except when it will rain for a couple weeks in a row and needs to.

My jeans will never fit again if they go in the drier.

/ Clothes Lines #15  
We nhad a Hills Hoist which was pretty rough after years of abuse before we got the house, we pulled it out and replaced it with a new clone, worst move we ever made and should have rebuilt the Hills.
We are about to pull it out and replace it with a fold out rack, 8' wide and 8 runs of line, collapses to two vertical poles when not in use and gives us lawn space.
I remember those clothes lines across the street when I lived in the UK, they were very common in the 50's, we lived in the country but we saw them when we came to town, there was an unofficial washing day that everyone seemed to adhere to and the streets were quite dark when the washing was out, a bit like fish and chips on Friday and chicken on Sunday, I think Tuesday was washing day.

/ Clothes Lines #16  
Ohh Yeah!!! The wife grew up in the city but developed an appreciation for a clothes line. Every home has had one. Can't beat one.

/ Clothes Lines
We nhad a Hills Hoist which was pretty rough after years of abuse before we got the house, we pulled it out and replaced it with a new clone, worst move we ever made and should have rebuilt the Hills.
We are about to pull it out and replace it with a fold out rack, 8' wide and 8 runs of line, collapses to two vertical poles when not in use and gives us lawn space.
I remember those clothes lines across the street when I lived in the UK, they were very common in the 50's, we lived in the country but we saw them when we came to town, there was an unofficial washing day that everyone seemed to adhere to and the streets were quite dark when the washing was out, a bit like fish and chips on Friday and chicken on Sunday, I think Tuesday was washing day.

Haven't seen that outdoor fold-out style here, but you folks have way more outdoor sun hours annually than we do, so makes sense for your market.

With small indoor racks it can be hard to get at the inner "lines", but that outdoor rack sounds big enough that you could walk inside it, and have lots of line length.

Rgds, D.

/ Clothes Lines #18  
They are commonly used on the side of a house (wall mounted) or units where space is at a premium but can be free standing using the extra verticals concreted into the ground, they come in a variety of sizes and line runs.
This is a wall mount similar to what we have except we have the optional vertical frame so it is free standing.

Attachments

• Eco-240-Clothesline-10-Lines_1024x1024.jpg
    Eco-240-Clothesline-10-Lines_1024x1024.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 71
   / Clothes Lines #19  
Some years ago I saw an ad for "Solar Clothes Dryers" $49.95 Limit 5 !!!
I think the limit was because mail fraud was set at $300.00 at the time!
So, are you talking about clothes lines or solar clothes dryers?? :)