Clothes Lines

/ Clothes Lines #1  

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
Topic came up as a tangent in another thread, thought I'd start this one......

One of the best setups I've seen was at my grandmother's house. Big country house, with attached large woodshed. Shed had a dedicated walkway along one wall, that had a tall narrow door at the end. The pulley was inside the shed, so you didn't even have to go outside to hang up clothes - nice, given Nova Scotia weather - back when, clothes still went outside on clear Winter days. Sloped side-lawn, so the line came out almost at 2nd storey height, and had a long run across a big lawn to a pole at the edge of the farm-field. Long run of line, and the clothes were already inside once you took them off the line.

Clothes Lines - who still uses them, and what different setups have you seen ?

Rgds, D.

/ Clothes Lines #2  
My Dad always built ours; out of about 4 inch pipe. He made two T's, about six foot tall, set in concrete and about 30 or so feet apart, with about four wires tightened by turnbuckles. Yep, Sharn Jean and I had similar ones in our first house; until the baby came along and I bought a used drier for $10.

/ Clothes Lines #3  
We still use one in the warm months, just a couple of "T" post 25 feet apart. I love sleeping on sheets that have been air dried, shirts smell awfully good too.

/ Clothes Lines #4  
The old farmer down the street uses one, the only one I've seen in ages.

His appears to be a couple 4X4 posts with some sort of cord. I'm sure he likes it that way, the clothes feel better air dried or something because he ain't poor LOL

The best ones I've "seen" are these.

31clothesline2.large.jpg

/ Clothes Lines #5  
We still use one in the warm months, just a couple of "T" post 25 feet apart. I love sleeping on sheets that have been air dried, shirts smell awfully good too.

Same here, except I have a horizontal 2x4 between the 2 posts at the top so they don't tilt towards each other. Makes a good place to hang heavy stuff like rugs, sleeping bags, blankets, tarps, etc. Use it 7-8 mo/yr, we also have ropes on our enclosed sunporch to use in rainy spells or in the spring before the snow's melted under the outside line. In the winter it's a wooden drying rack in the same room as the woodstove. I've never owned a dryer.

Agree on the smell...been using a clothesline ever since I bought my first house 40-odd years ago. Clothes dried in a dryer just smell like lint to me.
Can't understand why so many HOAs ban them.

/ Clothes Lines #6  
The 'Hills Hoist' is an iconic clothes line down here.

I have one and use it year round when the weather cooperates.

/ Clothes Lines #7  
Got one but I only use it for airing out damp sleeping bags and tarps. Wife loves to burn that natural gas!

/ Clothes Lines
My Dad always built ours; out of about 4 inch pipe. He made two T's, about six foot tall, set in concrete and about 30 or so feet apart, with about four wires tightened by turnbuckles. Yep, Sharn Jean and I had similar ones in our first house; until the baby came along and I bought a used drier for $10.

Gramp was a well-driller, so things were always built out of pipe at their place - long lasting build, esp. if you kept the pipe painted.

Rgds, D.

/ Clothes Lines
Agree on the smell...been using a clothesline ever since I bought my first house 40-odd years ago. Clothes dried in a dryer just smell like lint to me.
Can't understand why so many HOAs ban them.

It does seem like Alice going down the rabbit hole........... I grew up in a city, in a neighbourhood with good sized suburban lots. Many urban houses back then used clothes lines.

Now (that we are so green :cool:), people can't be bothered, or they are banned outright.

I don't have the greatest sense of smell, but laundry does smell way better on the line even to me.

Rgds, D.

/ Clothes Lines
Got one but I only use it for airing out damp sleeping bags and tarps. Wife loves to burn that natural gas!

We have an electric dryer here, but fortunately doesn't get used much. If it was used more, I'd get a natgas one.

We'll use the outside line as much as we can, early Spring to Late Fall. It actually crosses our open deck, with one pulley on a garden shed, and the other on an elevator bolted to a 4x4 on the other side of the deck.

Home Hardware - 52" Clothesline Elevator

Wife does a lot of personal work with fabric (sewing.......) so understands that dryers are hard on most fabrics, so prefers line-dry for that reason alone.

Rgds, D.