Growing leafy vegetables on a pond

/ Growing leafy vegetables on a pond #1  

John Fitzgerald

Gold Member
Tractor
XJ2025H same as NH Boomer 24
Hoping for some insight on this topic:

Having three ponds within 800 feet of my house, I am thinking of growing some leafy greens using them, as in Kale, Collards, and /or Spinach.

I would use a 4x8 sheet of high density foam with 2 inch or 3 inch holes cut for net pots and stick the pots in the holes with a bit of growing medium and the started plants.

The ponds are quite rich with fish waste. Other than fencing, this is the only way to keep deer away, plus it avoids watering and most weeding chores.

Has anyone on here tried this method?

/ Growing leafy vegetables on a pond #2  
I don't know why that wouldn't work, just like hydroponic growing without the inorganic fertilizer added to the water. I might give that a try also.

/ Growing leafy vegetables on a pond #3  
i have no experience with hydroponics but i think there has to be a lot of aeration of the water.

/ Growing leafy vegetables on a pond
i have no experience with hydroponics but i think there has to be a lot of aeration of the water.

The pond I am thinking of using is in a flat, windy, open area, and max depth of 4 feet. It gets lots of natural stirring from wind and fish.

/ Growing leafy vegetables on a pond #5  
Great idea...what if you anchor the foam inside a rectangular 4" PVC ring to ensure it doesn't go airborne. I may just try it myself!