Trees or bushes for privacy??

/ Trees or bushes for privacy?? #1  

AlbertC

Silver Member
Tractor
New holland 3930
We would like to plant some type of vegetation along a fence line to provide some type of privacy between us and a neighbor. The fence line has several large oaks spaced 40-50 ft apart along the fence line. The oaks do not have any lower limbs thus the need to plant something under them for privacy.

We tried planting arborvitae trees under the oaks but they were stunted and never really grew very much even though I irrigated and fertilized them. We were later told that the roots from the oak trees were stealing all the water and nutrients from the trees and that it was hard getting anything to grow under oak trees.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what plant we might try planting to provide privacy? We live in middle Georgia.

Thanks

/ Trees or bushes for privacy?? #2  
We would like to plant some type of vegetation along a fence line to provide some type of privacy between us and a neighbor. The fence line has several large oaks spaced 40-50 ft apart along the fence line. The oaks do not have any lower limbs thus the need to plant something under them for privacy.

We tried planting arborvitae trees under the oaks but they were stunted and never really grew very much even though I irrigated and fertilized them. We were later told that the roots from the oak trees were stealing all the water and nutrients from the trees and that it was hard getting anything to grow under oak trees.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what plant we might try planting to provide privacy? We live in middle Georgia.

Thanks

Try wax myrtle, larger azalea's, or maybe burning bush ( deciduous) but nice. Mulch heavily, and fertilize with HollyTone. Also, speak to county extension agent.

/ Trees or bushes for privacy?? #3  
I planted Honey Suckle shrubs between well spaced Red Oak Trees for screening from the road. Worked out well although they too are deciduous but the red berries attract a variety of beneficial birds.

/ Trees or bushes for privacy?? #4  
I'm thinking shade tolorant vines (honey suckle,viginia creeper,english ivy)for the short term and eastern red cedar for long term. Look around under forest trees to see what thrive's. Red tip photinia is very rapid growning but is prone to disease.

/ Trees or bushes for privacy?? #5  
I planted Honey Suckle shrubs between well spaced Red Oak Trees for screening from the road. Worked out well although they too are deciduous but the red berries attract a variety of beneficial birds.
Honeysuckle is terrible choice, very invasive and bad for the birds, illegal in some states.
Causes diarrhea in many birds

/ Trees or bushes for privacy?? #6  
Google shade tolerant plants. Wineberries like to grow underneath deciduous trees. Would provide berries as well.

Pieris likes shade.

Any perennial will sleep the first year, creep the next and finally leap the third year IF you've provided just the right amount of water to it.

Again, google shade tolerant plants and select what you like and what is available at the big box or other large landscape place. Otherwise, you'll pay to order special.

Ralph

/ Trees or bushes for privacy?? #7  
Honeysuckle is terrible choice, very invasive and bad for the birds, illegal in some states.
Causes diarrhea in many birds
Not near as invasive as Autumn Olive, Russian Olive, Multi-flower Rose, etc.

Oh, grapes will also cause diarrhea in many birds when eaten in abundance.

/ Trees or bushes for privacy?? #9  
We planted 20 Leland Cypress trees along our border. Within 3 years they had bushed out making an excellent visual barrier. After planting, we never water nor feed them. Five years later now, they're 12' tall. And - they were cheap; $1.00 each at a Home Depot sale.

/ Trees or bushes for privacy?? #10  
Not near as invasive as Autumn Olive, Russian Olive, Multi-flower Rose, etc.

Oh, grapes will also cause diarrhea in many birds when eaten in abundance.

I agree BTDT. In hindsight it was a bad choice planting the "olives"

I would follow the suggestion of googling GA shade tolerant "visual barrier" type plants and find out your particular region's shade tolerant bird/insect attracting native plants.