Flooding in SW Michigan

/ Flooding in SW Michigan #1  

RobS

Tractor
None!
A friend of mine made this drone video of flooding on the St. Joseph River in Downtown Niles, MI. We are safely above this level, about 5 miles away. The railroad is Amtrak and the small white roof building surrounded by water is a pizza pub where my wife and I ate just a couple of weeks ago. River is supposed to crest later tonight at record levels.

Niles Flood 2 21 18 - YouTube

/ Flooding in SW Michigan #2  
Dang. We only got ~2" here on the east side, smaller creeks are running over a bit but basically no big deal.

/ Flooding in SW Michigan #3  
Dang. We only got ~2" here on the east side, smaller creeks are running over a bit but basically no big deal.
only about 2" here as well. It was accompanied by 60 degree temps and melted a bunch of snow real fast. With the ground frozen not much soaked in, so flooding resulted. The flooding is dissipating pretty quickly, at least in my area.
541106d1519320290-flooding-sw-michigan-28070807_804744289672502_5357152481628843426_o-jpg

Attachments

• 28070807_804744289672502_5357152481628843426_o.jpg
    28070807_804744289672502_5357152481628843426_o.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 301
   / Flooding in SW Michigan
only about 2" here as well. It was accompanied by 60 degree temps and melted a bunch of snow real fast. With the ground frozen not much soaked in, so flooding resulted. The flooding is dissipating pretty quickly, at least in my area.

Same issue here with the frozen ground. We had over 5" of rain on top of close to 20" of snow from the other week. They said if the rain had been snow it would have been 30-50" of snow!

/ Flooding in SW Michigan #5  
A friend of mine made this drone video of flooding on the St. Joseph River in Downtown Niles, MI. We are safely above this level, about 5 miles away. The railroad is Amtrak and the small white roof building surrounded by water is a pizza pub where my wife and I ate just a couple of weeks ago. River is supposed to crest later tonight at record levels.

Yeah, that's something. My wife and I walk that trail along the river about every 3 weeks or so. The blue building is Wonderland Theatre. It's toast! Too bad. That's our favorite theater. 2 tickets, 2 popcorns and 2 drinks for about twelve bucks.

Downtown South Bend was bad last night. Michigan St. bridge closed. Angela St. bridge closed. They had to shut down the sewage treatment plant last night, so now all of South Bend's 100,000 people poop is going directly into the river..... towards the Niles, the place in that drone video. Yuck! Fortunately, they don't get their drinking water from the river, but still, yuck!

Too bad he didn't fly just a couple blocks further south to the French Paper Co's dam. I wonder if its even visible? South Bend's dam just looks like a roll in the river now. And they're worried about the Buchanan dam. If it fails, everything from there to Lake Michigan will be flooded badly.

/ Flooding in SW Michigan #6  

Yeah, that's something. My wife and I walk that trail along the river about every 3 weeks or so. The blue building is Wonderland Theatre. It's toast! Too bad. That's our favorite theater. 2 tickets, 2 popcorns and 2 drinks for about twelve bucks.

Downtown South Bend was bad last night. Michigan St. bridge closed. Angela St. bridge closed. They had to shut down the sewage treatment plant last night, so now all of South Bend's 100,000 people poop is going directly into the river..... towards the Niles, the place in that drone video. Yuck! Fortunately, they don't get their drinking water from the river, but still, yuck!

Too bad he didn't fly just a couple blocks further south to the French Paper Co's dam. I wonder if its even visible? South Bend's dam just looks like a roll in the river now. And they're worried about the Buchanan dam. If it fails, everything from there to Lake Michigan will be flooded badly.

/ Flooding in SW Michigan #7  
A friend of mine in NW Indiana couldn't get to work yesterday as I80 was closed heading into Chicago.

/ Flooding in SW Michigan #9  
Almost 6 inches at my place in East Texas in two days with a lot more on the way. Roads are already starting to flood and if it continues like expected, we might be in for some problems. What I find interesting is how the storms form here in my area and then work their way up to you guys, and then across the country. We watch the radar and we can see them form as little cells, then grow and connect to the other cells, and then grow even bigger as it goes up to Arkansas and beyond. Seems like the shape of Texas is perfect for drawing in moisture from the Gulf, and then joining the Jet Stream from the West Coast to form the storms right over us.

/ Flooding in SW Michigan #10  
Yeah, I was just looking at the radar and seeing it starting in Texas and heading all the way up to PA. Sometimes it goes through Indy and south of us. Sometimes over through Chicago and west of us. And sometimes, everything is just right and we get a frog choker.

It wasn't so much the amount of rain, but that we had a pretty good snowpack, piles in parking lots, etc... the ground is still frozen, and the warm rain melts the snow and it can't soak into the ground, so the rivers flood.