Rural Internet & Cell Phones

/ Rural Internet & Cell Phones #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
In the photo forum, PILOON just posted something that got me to thinking.....

For myself and many other rural types PLEASE keep the files small as many simply don't have hi speed.
Our phone provider only provides dial up service and we have to resort to a private system but even that is limited and extra slow on week ends. (Too manydownloading hi def films)

I've also wondered about just how this difference in communication speed will add to the different was of looking at the world between rural and city populations.

Take cell phones for example.....When I go to town, I see people absolutely glued to their pocket phones. No matter what they are doing, they seem to think it is equally important that they be simultaneously talking to someone while they are doing it*.

That doesn't happen so much in the rural US simply because there still isn't much cell phone coverage in rural areas. In fact, where we live, there isn't any cell phone service at all.
We are only 100 miles from Denver - close enough that we sometimes shop there - and our telephone plugs into the wall. Basically it is a type of dial up via wires. Long distance is an expensive premium service.

Us rural folks have always spent our time differently than our town cousins, and with the difference in cell phone coverage our divide seems to be growing larger.
rScotty

*what ARE they talking about so much??

/ Rural Internet & Cell Phones #3  
Its called the digital divide. Its frustrating at times when you want to use technology and the bandwidth is just not there. Dont get me wrong I enjoy the disconnect but when I want to use it and its not available then its madding.

/ Rural Internet & Cell Phones #4  
I'm almost 76. So I grew up in a completely different age and time. You know all the "NO's". No TV, no internet etc,etc. When I leave the house - I VERY SELDOM take my cell phone. Only if I am going to be making an important call. My MAIN mode of communication is via email. Cell phone service out here is the pits.

I don't have a land line phone or hard line for internet. I often wonder if its a matter of insecurity that drives folks to be in contact with somebody all the time???

/ Rural Internet & Cell Phones #5  
LOL, won't tell my age but as a youth our 1st phone was on the wall with a crank on the side.
Then came a major update, a candlestick phone. (And we were merely in the suburbs of Montreal.)
Our Tel# was 305 R3-1

LOL now I'm 'back in the sticks', 1 hr north of Montreal on a lakeside with every sort of wildlife to enjoy and still close enough to a major metropolitan area, 40 mins commute for those so inclined, and many do so as rush hour traffic will show.

LOL, now I have me a new smart phone and it is smarted than me, but hey, I graduated from a flip. It was an Xmas gift from my wife.
Guess I should make a call with it to see if it actually works, if I can figure out how, LOL.
At least it is 'SMART' as it transferred all my contacts from this computer.

/ Rural Internet & Cell Phones #6  
I don't know, I see plenty of farmers around here talking on the phone while in the tractor or combine. So I think it's more of a coverage issue than anything. We are southwest of Kansas City and cell coverage is pretty good. Not taking your phone with you nowadays into the field is just kinda silly. I have heard plenty of stories of farmers hurt in the field for hours before anyone found them. So the phone is not only convenient but a good safety measure.

/ Rural Internet & Cell Phones #7  
We live in an area that has oil therefore the cell service is excellent here. In fact most people don't even bother with landlines anymore. Most cell plans include enough minutes to accommodate what you need. I have unlimited calling to any number in Canada. We haven't had a landline for about 7 years.

Internet is through a separate company that sprinkled the province of Alberta with carrier grade towers and started selling internet. It's not the greatest or fastest service but it's adequate. I still remember dial up though and don't miss it one bit. I wonder if satellite would be a viable alternative. Around here the competition keeps prices reasonable.

/ Rural Internet & Cell Phones #8  
I've also wondered about just how this difference in communication speed will add to the different was of looking at the world between rural and city populations.
Its called the digital divide. Its frustrating at times when you want to use technology and the bandwidth is just not there. Dont get me wrong I enjoy the disconnect but when I want to use it and its not available then its madding.

It can be frustrating, and doesn't seem to be getting much better. The switch to digital tv was another step that isolated rural America...you're pretty much stuck with some sort of pay service for reception if you're more than 50 mi. or so from a city, especially in mountainous areas like where I live.

When I leave the house - I VERY SELDOM take my cell phone. Only if I am going to be making an important call. My MAIN mode of communication is via email. Cell phone service out here is the pits.

I don't have a land line phone or hard line for internet. I often wonder if its a matter of insecurity that drives folks to be in contact with somebody all the time???

I also only use a cellphone (just a cheapie "burner" flip-phone) for emergencies, etc. Our home phone is part of a cable bundle, don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. When we moved here in the mid 00s, there was almost no cell service north of the White Mountains. It's better now, but get away from the major highways and it gets spotty fast. Pretty iffy here at the house. I have zero interest in getting a smart phone.

While it isn't great, satellite internet is at least an option in rural areas. I ditched it about 5 years ago when cable came thru here, and from what I've heard it's better now than it was, though some things like latency or storm fade you're pretty much stuck with.

I don't understand the need many (especially those under 40) have to be "connected" at all times.

Take cell phones for example.....When I go to town, I see people absolutely glued to their pocket phones. No matter what they are doing, they seem to think it is equally important that they be simultaneously talking to someone while they are doing it*.

What's even worse is the need most young people and way too many not-so-young people seem to have to check their email/Facebook page/whatever it is they're checking every couple minutes even at the dinner table or in a face to face conversation. I wonder if they realize they're being rude, or are just so self-absorbed that they don't care.

/ Rural Internet & Cell Phones #9  
Maybe Elon's satellite will come to fruition and provide decent internet for those of us in those areas that Cable etc ISP companies won't go.

/ Rural Internet & Cell Phones #10  
Plenty of options for satellite internet if that's all you can get.