Time for a new roof on the barn, metal or asphalt shingle?

/ Time for a new roof on the barn, metal or asphalt shingle? #1  

BrokeFarmerJohn

Veteran Member
Tractor
2017 Mahindra 5555, John Blue G-1000, Massey Ferguson 98, John Deere GP
Hey guys,

Well the barn roof is leaking every year (3rd year) and I am having to have it repaired yearly, it only costs me $100 but nothing has rotted yet so it’s time for new before I lose the barn from a leak I didn’t catch.

IMG_7655.JPG
IMG_7251.JPG

I want new siding on both buildings but I don’t think I can swing both right now.

So I’m leaning towards metal, had a company come out and give me a quote of $6500, that’s NOT the standing seam, it’s the one with exposed screws, but he said both the screws and metal have 40 year warranties. And that’s tacking metal on top of asphalt shingle. The guy said the siding would be quite a bit more than the roof.

So I guess my questions is what would you all suggest? Metal or shingle?

What do you have? How much did you pay?

If I go metal, what color? Lol, lean to, stalls and smaller barn are all “Galvalume” it’s like the unpainted metal but still has the same warranty of 40 years. The contractor suggested matching the big barn to the rest with the “Galvalume” but not sure about that one.

As always your experience and knowledge is appreciated.

/ Time for a new roof on the barn, metal or asphalt shingle? #2  
how old are you? how long will the barn be in the family?

can you afford shingles and siding now? and a metal roof 15 years from now?

/ Time for a new roof on the barn, metal or asphalt shingle? #3  
Get atleast two more quotes on metal. Ask an Amish/Mennonite crew if they would do the metal when the grounds to wet for building a pole barn or during a slower time. 6500 for a metal roof is nuts

Brett

/ Time for a new roof on the barn, metal or asphalt shingle? #4  
Get atleast two more quotes on metal. Ask an Amish/Mennonite crew if they would do the metal when the grounds to wet for building a pole barn or during a slower time. 6500 for a metal roof is nuts

Brett

Agreed!
$6500 for putting a metal roof on that barn is TOO MUCH!

/ Time for a new roof on the barn, metal or asphalt shingle? #5  
Agreed!
$6500 for putting a metal roof on that barn is TOO MUCH!
I take it some of you haven't priced metal roofing lately. :rolleyes:

BrokeFarmerJohn, when you get quotes, be sure to get specifics. Metal roofing and siding comes in different gages (thicknesses), with 29 guage being the thinnest. The lower the gage #, the thicker the metal and of course the price goes up. 26 gage is what I would go with. Anything thicker is commercial quality and price prohibitive for your needs.

If you go with metal roofing and leave the shingles on, I would go with Galvalume or white to reflect the sun's rays resulting in less heat buildup. Personally I think white would look better on your barn roof. Nice barn, by the way. Also you wouldn't want the metal laid directly on the shingles. Furring strips should be nailed down first.

/ Time for a new roof on the barn, metal or asphalt shingle? #6  
How big is the barn ? The Hi Rib standard roof metal is around $3 a linear foot. There is alot of labor since it is a Gambrel style roof. I wouldn't put a metal roof over shingles...thats just me though. What kind of decking is on the roof to secure the metal ? You want a nice smooth surface to lay the metal on otherwise you could get leaks.

/ Time for a new roof on the barn, metal or asphalt shingle? #7  
I don't think I would want to do that roof in metal. I hate what the flashing will look like with the different angles in pitch.

Where are the leaks? most of the time it's around whatever sticks through the roof. Then it's in a valley. Since I don't see any valleys, is it around the flashing?

Since you already have leaking issues, I would strip it down to the plywood or OSB. I would do a complete inspection of the decking. I would use 30 pound paper and all brand new flashing. Then shingle it in architectural shingles using 1 1/2 inch nails or longer. Nail length is very important. Nails are much better then staples. Night and day better!!!

/ Time for a new roof on the barn, metal or asphalt shingle? #8  
I like the look and durability of metal. We have metal roofs that are still good after 60 years. Even with some rust, they are still water proof. With a red barn I can only see black or white [or silver] and I agree that a light roof is best for reflecting heat.

As for siding, what about a coat of paint to buy time on that?

/ Time for a new roof on the barn, metal or asphalt shingle?
how old are you? how long will the barn be in the family?

can you afford shingles and siding now? and a metal roof 15 years from now?

I’m 27 and have had the place a little over 3 years now, I have no plans to move in the next 10 or so years.

/ Time for a new roof on the barn, metal or asphalt shingle?

Brett

I have 3 or 4 roofing companies coming out, this is actually the first guy to throw a number out but the 3rd contractor to be out.

First guy said he wasn’t prepared and Able Roofing uses a satellite image instead of a guy with a tape measure so he scheduled to come back out in 3 weeks. The second company left a sample and book on the front step, walked back, took measurements and said they would email me a quote which I haven’t got yet and the 3rd guy threw a number out.