Winch mounting systems

/ Winch mounting systems #1  

fishman

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910; Kubota T1670
Through some good fortune, I am now in possession of a Warn m8000 winch. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Unfortunatly the mounting bracket that came with it is not compatible with my 2000 chevy half ton. I checked out the Warn website as well as a couple of discount winch websites and I like the concept of the Hidden Hitch. Basically, the winch hides behind the bumper and the only think you see is the roller assembly under the bumper. Has anyone installed this system on their truck and were any modifications required? There isn't enough description of the product and I'm wondering if it's just a bolt-on plate or what. Cost is about $170 so not too bad.

And of course, if anyone has any suggestions for other mounting advice or uses, I'm all ears. Any tips for installation, etc.

And now I have a mounting system/chrome brush guard for a 2000 3/4 ton chevy that is of no use to me. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Winch mounting systems #2  
I would mount a receiver hitch front and rear on the truck. That way you can pull it off of the front and stick it in the rear hitch if necessary. Or you can pull it off the truck and use it on the tractor if necessary. And you can mount a hitch on your trailer so you can use the winch to load it. Why limit yourself by permenantly mounting it on the truck? If you drive off in a bog with the winch mounted on the front it can be a PITA to get the truck out. Pull the pin, drag the winch to the rear and come on out. You can also leave it at home when you go somewhere that you won't need the winch. The less goodies on your truck to attract thieves the better.

/ Winch mounting systems #3  
First, congrats on your winch. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I also have the Warn 8000 and think you'll really like yours. Along with the winch, I also have their base for 2" receivers. As was said above, with that set up and a front and rear receiver set up, you could mount it on either end or not at all. I know it's not quite as aesthetically pleasing as the hidden mount but it is certainly more versatile. I even added a 2" receiver tube on my trailer and use my winch there, too. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

On a somewhat related note, either with my winch or the receiver base I got a short set of leads with a large plug type connector on one end to run from my battery to outside my grille. The idea there is so that you can easily connect and disconnect your winch from the power source. One thing I did was to buy an extra connector (I got mine from a local fork lift shop) and make myself a pair of quick attach jumper cables so I don't even have to life the hood to give someone a jump start. If you buy the longer cable to have the same connection at the rear of your truck then you can use your jumpers from either end as well.

I know it's easy for me to spend your money like this, but I thought you might want to at least consider these ideas. Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Winch mounting systems
Well, two votes for pretty much the same idea. I checked into that option a little bit and like it a lot, but it does raise some questions. Please bear with me, I'm really new at this.

To get maximum utility, I guess one would have to have an extra-long wiring harness tucked in the truck engine compartment with quick connects. These quick connects would also need to replace the battery cable lead connects on the winch. Eventually, I could do the same with my tractor. Good so far?

The control system needs to mount somewhere, or does it? The one on the winch appears to be a permanent mount that I guess could also mount on the receiver hitch platform for the winch. Is that how it's usually done? Is there a better way?

One other issue I noticed was that the 2" mounting system was for the multi-mount winches (I think). Mines just a standard M8000 winch. Gary, did you have any problem finding a mount?

Security with this mounting system also concerns me a little. Of course, the reciever can be locked, but are there any other precautions that can be taken to prevent theft? Anybody think I need to be worried about that?

I really like the versatility this option offers, as I have a trailer I could use it on, etc. But if anyone wants to jump in, I'm certainly still open to other ideas.

/ Winch mounting systems #5  
The reciever hitch system works. There are some brackets, cages if you will, out there for winches to work with reciever hitches.

Your control for the winch probably has a remote or a place for one to be hooked up. That allows you to be out of the way if a line breaks, get a better view of the operation, etc.

The best system I've seen for this is a plate attached to an insert with a roll cage for the lack of a better description to protect the winch when installing and or transporting.

The plugs Gary talked about for forklifts sounds like a great system for the power supply for the winch. An alternative would be a wrecker supply which would have another type of quick connect for the power supply.

One of the advantages of such a system not mentioned by Gary is you can decline lending your winch out because they don't have an approved connector to make it all work. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for the security issue, keeping the winch in a tool box is probably the best one. Out of sight, out of mind, alive and working.

/ Winch mounting systems #6  
Mount the winch on a 2" hitch, with receivers front and rear. Use connectors like in the attached picture, like others have said. I have 25' ofwelding cable with these on one end and battery clamps on the other end. Whenever I need it, the winch comes out of the truck, slides in the receiver, plug it in and go. You could mount a receiver on the front of the trailer too if you wanted.

Attachments

• 443157-3BY22.jpg
    443157-3BY22.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 226
   / Winch mounting systems #7  
WOW! I realize I'm taking my TBN life and reputation into my own hands here when I'm going to dispute anything electrical with Inspector 507, but here goes.

The pictured connector (gray) is too small for the Warn 8000. The one you will get with your winch and any Warn accessories for it is larger and is red in color and that's the one you want to use.

In the interest of fairness here, let me say once again the Inspector 507 figuratively 'held my hand' through wiring/rewiring a barn and putting in new service. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif He's the pro. I just happen to own the same winch.

/ Winch mounting systems #9  
Kinda like that, yeah... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Winch mounting systems #10  
Max current is ~435 Amps for this winch, but that's peak and probably for a short time.
http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/M8000.shtml

So both of the parts our electrical expert points out will work.
A bit marginal since its only rated for 320 Amps cont.
But the peaks can be much higher for a short time. Look at the pulse current tables. Your good for a couple of minuites on these connectors at 435 amps. Most pulls will not last that long.
http://www.andersonpower.com/products/pdf/DS-SBE320.pdf
If it starts smoking then let it cool a minute and you will be fine. Its not going to melt before you run out of winch line to say the least.

This ones a little better:
http://www.andersonpower.com/products/pdf/DS-SBX350.pdf

The different colors are used for different voltages.

Fred