Semi rural living - Fire safety & water provision best practices

/ Semi rural living - Fire safety & water provision best practices #11  
I have found 2.5 gallon air pressurized extinguishers far superior than the ABC units, I have the foaming nozzle on the extinguishers, and even adding some dawn dish soap will do wonders, to the effectiveness of the extinguishers, look up cold fire and watch there videos,

I agree! Dry chemical extinguishers are for grease and oil fires, not wood/plastic/paper. Looking at a typical small dry chem extinguisher, it is rated at 1A:10BC. The A rating is miniscule. I much prefer the pressurized water extinguishers but they are not for kitchen stove fires!!

/ Semi rural living - Fire safety & water provision best practices #12  
If you have a decent enough plot of land, my #1 suggestion is to NOT store flammables and combustibles in the garage. Put them in a shed or other suitable outbuilding. Don't leave small appliances plugged in. The rest of the advice is spot on.

/ Semi rural living - Fire safety & water provision best practices #13  
Shazam - I live way out in the country but fortunately there is a volunteer fire dept facility about two miles south.

For the first thirty years I lived out here I maintained a "fire break" on the SW portion of my property. Around 90% of all our wind comes out of the SW and would be the factor that would bring a wildfire to my property. Then five years ago we DID have a wildfire - Watermelon Hill Wildfire. The wind shifted at the VERY LAST moment and the wildfire just missed the SW edge of my property by 100 feet.

What that wildfire revealed - my firebreak would have been a TOTAL JOKE. The winds driving that wildfire were causing it to leap in quarter mile increments.
Even if my firebreak were 100 yards wide - which it is not - it would have had zero effect.

I do have a five acre lake - 80 feet deep - that has been used by helicopters to "dip 'n go" when fighting that wildfire five years ago. So it could easily be used if their equipment were ever positioned on my property.

MY SUGGESTION - - #1) have a well rehearsed evacuation plan. Know where you will evacuate to and let those who would be concerned for your health know also. #2) Have top notch fire insurance. When all is lost - you will at least know the money is there to rebuild - should you choose.

Never - in all my life - have I witnessed such a helpless situation as the Watermelon Hill wildfire. The full resources of all available fire suppression forces were at a complete loss to stop its advances. Only thru the actions of several local farmers - (LARGE tractors & disks), the abating wind & lack of fuel - - was this fire snuffed out.

/ Semi rural living - Fire safety & water provision best practices #14  
We have a 10,000 gallon tank 250' above the house with a 4" line to a hydrant in front of the house. Having that much water and a hydrant is a requirement here, though it can be in a swimming pool or tank at hydrant level. We also have roof sprinklers to turn on if there's a fire approaching. I have 300' of hose and fire tools which go in a bin next to the hydrant. They're for us to use on a small fire before the fire fighters get here. The local wildland fire dept helicopter station is only a few miles from us so a copter can get here fast but it'll take a while for any trucks to make it as the road is steep and twisty.

Other posters have covered house fires. For wildland fires, the most important thing is to keep vegetation and flamables clear around your house. For example the wood pile next to the house is a great place for embers or brands to land and start a fire. Decks are where a lot of wildland fires become house fires as well. We're getting ours rebuilt, we'll be using more fire resistant material.

When you remove the ashes from your stove don't put them on the ground until you're really sure they're out. One of the neighbors didn't do that and set an outbuilding on fire. Fortunately it was in winter when the vegetation doesn't burn fast.

Have a plan for what you'll take if you evacuate on short notice, where you'll go and how you'll meet up if you're separated.

/ Semi rural living - Fire safety & water provision best practices #15  
I guess it is very minimalist fire protection that we did when we built our place, but it makes me feel a little more secure:

When we ran our domestic supply (city water) down our our 1/2 mile driveway, we put in 6 branches with yard hydrants. We have about 125psi of pressure and 2" lines (choked down to 3/4 at the hydrants), but they still flow a LOT. Gives at least a modicum of "forest fire" protection.

In the house, we have a full basement with drive under 2-car parking. I mounted a 195deg sprinkler head directly above where each vehicle (engine) sits, plus one in my shop area, plus one above the wood furnace. After I set up my reloading bench I added another one there.

/ Semi rural living - Fire safety & water provision best practices #16  
When I lived in the Santa Cruz mountains, I had 10,000 gallons of water and 4" hydrants in two locations that I could use, all gravity feed at 50 psi. You are not at the fire risk that we were with 6 months (give or take) of no rain at all and sitting in the middle of a mixed redwoods and hardwoods forest/woods. I could not even begin to get homeowners insurance.

Now I live in the Cascade Mountains of northern CA and we get 60 to 70" of precip a year, but still have four or five months of zero rain and sit in the middle of a pines/firs/cedar and oak forest with just a tad less fire danger than before. Some people never learn. I'm only a mile from a CalFire station that is manned year around but still, what I did is buy a running pumper with a sound 750 gallon water tank and 200' of 1" hose for $1500. I keep it full all fire season and keep Barricade handy to hose down the buildings in the event of a wildfire.

I will be adding two 2500 gallon poly water tanks to keep the pumper fed during a fire as well. Home Depot has good poly tanks for under a grand.

IMG_0637.JPG

/ Semi rural living - Fire safety & water provision best practices #17  
Be sure to accurately list your distance from the fire station as otherwise if over a certain distance (8 kms here) the rates change and you could be considered co insured.
Also be sure the evaluation is current as again co insurance clause might apply.
Major insurers will adjust your policy from time to time to reflect costs of replacement. (and LOL, the premium)

Co insurance means you share the risk, example, you insure for $100k as that is what it cost back then and you have 'total loss' and that same building costs $200k to rebuild. Well as co insured they will give U 1/2 of your $100K.
Bummer I know, but I know of 2 cases where that happened.

Many policies rely on how far U are from a hydrant for calculating the risk.
When we learned of that fact we installed 'dry hydrants' at a minimal cost.
With 2 'dry' all of us are within the magic distance and therefore our rates at decent.

NB a 'dry hydrant' is a pipe system that is permanently installed in such a way that the screened intake is proud of the source bottom (ie lake) and easily accessible is a hydrant or pipe that is fitted with the fire department hose hookup that they can rapidly refill their tanker truck from.
These dry hydrants have become very commonplace for many miles around here, in fact 10 municipalities that I am aware of.
(Our dep't now uses 5" PVC piping to fabricate them.)

SO if you have a stream or pond lake etc consider a dry hydrant and be sure to mention that when you get insurance quotes.
The only costly item will be the dep't mating fitting.

Another idea is to take pics of all your valuables as proof of contents should U have a fire, remember fire will consume the items and any invoices you had kept.

My daughter needed to claim (break in, not fire) but she could document every loss item and consequently only lost her deductible amount. ($200. on a $5000. claim)

Many years ago we installed the first dry hydrant (at our expense) simply for peace of mind. It so happened that we had a small forest fire and that hydrant proved so successful (actually saved the fire truck that was surrounded by fire) that the city reimbursed us the costs of installation. The rest has become history.

/ Semi rural living - Fire safety & water provision best practices #18  
when we built, we added fire sprinkler heads all over the place. They are only $5 each, with a separate pex line, super low cost. We don't have a 2 inch high pressure line feeding them. But in a typical home fire it starts in one spot and a sprinkler would slow it way down. If it were to spread to the next room/sprinkler, the second one would "share" the pressure.

We also live in a all concrete home. So for us living far from the fire dept, we are buying time.....

/ Semi rural living - Fire safety & water provision best practices
Hello,

I am grateful for all the replies, thank you. It looks like having a sprinkler system is a good option.

a) Can a residential sprinkler system receive water from a well? - We currently receive our water from a well, it has been working well and there have been no water shortages.

We also have a septic system in case that matters.

b) It also seems that good INSURANCE is very important, we have home owners insurance, but not sure if that is sufficient, especially in terms of recovery from a fire, Lord forbid.

Is a comprehensive fire insurance separate to a homeowners insurance? Or are there specific offerings and clauses we need to look for in the homeowners insurance to learn what level of coverage it provides?

I appreciate your help thank you again.

Thank you