Maple Syrup

/ Maple Syrup #1  

chado613

Bronze Member
Tractor
IH 624, IH B414, Kubota RTV 900, Kubota M7060
Put approx. 35 gallons through this yesterday...pretty happy with the results

Down to about 3.75 gallons now....Thinking about finishing on the stove or on the BBQ. Not sure if there is still enough water to make things sticky in the house

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20170601_220027.JPG
    20170601_220027.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 169
  • 20170601_220033.JPG
    20170601_220033.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 135
  • 20170601_220038.JPG
    20170601_220038.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 135
   / Maple Syrup #2  
Well, 40:1 is a ballpark number. Could be higher or lower. But if you were at 35:1 for the sake of easy math, you'd need to remove another 2.75 gallons of water. It won't make your house sticky since the sugar will stay in the pan, but it might get a little humid. Personally that's probably what I'd do. I'd start with a gallon in the pot and add a little at a time. You've got a lot of work into it at this point. Using the stove is a nice way to have good control over the boil. Be sure to keep a close eye on it at the end.

/ Maple Syrup #3  
It'll do it, I would hope that you have a good exhaust fan over the stove.
Good Luck

/ Maple Syrup #4  
It'll do it, I would hope that you have a good exhaust fan over the stove. Good Luck

An exhaust fan that actually exhausts outside, not the recirculating type!

/ Maple Syrup #5  
Well, 40:1 is a ballpark number. Could be higher or lower. But if you were at 35:1 for the sake of easy math, you'd need to remove another 2.75 gallons of water. It won't make your house sticky since the sugar will stay in the pan, but it might get a little humid. Personally that's probably what I'd do. I'd start with a gallon in the pot and add a little at a time. You've got a lot of work into it at this point. Using the stove is a nice way to have good control over the boil. Be sure to keep a close eye on it at the end.
Around here (not too far from you) it looks like it's going to be a bumper crop...decent daytime temps yet still below normal freezing night-time temps.

/ Maple Syrup #6  
Around here (not too far from you) it looks like it's going to be a bumper crop...decent daytime temps yet still below normal freezing night-time temps.

I sure hope so! Anything is possible when you're at the mercy of mother nature. I have most of my taps in and the sap is running right now. Hopefully I'll start cooking by this weekend. I still have a few more holes to drill, but I'm hoping to get to 300 taps on vacuum. I'd love to make 150 gallons of syrup, but I'll feel a lot better once we hit a hundred.

/ Maple Syrup #7  
I sure hope so! Anything is possible when you're at the mercy of mother nature. I have most of my taps in and the sap is running right now. Hopefully I'll start cooking by this weekend. I still have a few more holes to drill, but I'm hoping to get to 300 taps on vacuum. I'd love to make 150 gallons of syrup, but I'll feel a lot better once we hit a hundred.

150 gallons of syrup? That's a lot of sap! And that's a lot of $$$! Good luck. Been a few years where mother nature shut you guys down with warm weather.

/ Maple Syrup #8  
I had to prune two storm damaged limbs off one of my sugar maples on Saturday...couldn't believe the amount of sap water that ran out of 3 inch diameter branches. Enjoy your syrup!

/ Maple Syrup #9  
Always wondered how you made maple syrup, not made here as far as I know although we have Japanese Maple (at home and not a native) which I doubt are the same thing.