Selling at local farmers market

/ Selling at local farmers market #11  
Hops grow to about 30' but we are putting in 18' poles with a pulley sytem so we can run the vines up the string to the wire at the top then try to get them to run across, harvest will be dropping the wire and picking the flowers when they are ready.
The vines wind up the string in a clockwise direction (I don't know if that is the same in the Northern Hemisphere like water down the drain) and sometimes need a help to start them on their way.
We will be planting next to a drain where the soil is always moist and treed to the west to prevent the prevailing winds damaging them, hops do not like wind, to the east is clear and there are deciduous trees that will provide filtered light during summer, we get about an average of 14 hours of light a day from mid spring to late autumn, plant in late winter.
I haven't tried them yet but have read a lot of journals put out by brewers and agricultural departments, we are in a good growing area but only 50km away they wouldn't grow because of adverse conditions.
We are fortunate that there are no insects or diseases that attack hops, I also discovered that they are related to cannabis but will keep that quiet so local kids don't pinch the leaves or heads to smoke, they would be disapointed anyway as they don't do anything as there is no THC content, just distant cousins.
I don't know what sort of yields to expect but hops do go a long way as far as brewing goes, I remember a brewer saying that the addition of hops was only a few ounces for several thousand gallons.
Hops were originally a preservative but the bitteness was found to be pleasant, some are more bitter than others and some are quite aromatic like the ones I plan on growing, a distinct European flavour in lagers and ales although I like the citrus and bitter characteristics of the citri/citra, I have seen it spelled both ways so which is right?
There are plenty of home brewers who will buy fresh hops, which are dry when they are ready to be harvested.

/ Selling at local farmers market #13  
We plan on putting in hops this year as the market for home brewers is limited, if it fails so be it and I won't be much out of pocket but I want to get away from the mainstream bitter varieties and try some like Tettnanger, Saaz and Citri.
There are markets that are for home brewers every few months and it would be a good day out and I may even make some money.
Around here a lot of people sell seasonal fruit and veges roadside with an honesty box/honour system.

I don't know a lot about hops but there is a new hop growing operation near Olympia. The trellis system they put in is pretty impressive, telephone pole sized uprights and a top wire about 20' up or more. The plants are perennials and appear to take several years to reach full production. Lots of work and money to invest before turning a profit.
I think they will do well as craft brewing is huge around here.

/ Selling at local farmers market #15  
Is "here" FL or GA?

I haven't seen much of that in this part of GA.

GA...The local fish wrap has a story about farm to table about once a month or so during the growing season...

/ Selling at local farmers market #16  
I haven't noticed it would probably been more accurate. Farm to table was real popular in CO when I was out there visiting my son a couple years ago. It seems quite profitable if you can get into the market.

/ Selling at local farmers market #17  
I am a beekeeper and last summer I was looking for a new market for my honey. I stopped by the local farmer's market and got an application to sell/spoke with the person in charge. It turns out that the other established person who sells honey would get to set the price for MY honey. I was very disappointed- I was expecting a "free market", not "price controls"- but I suppose it is their circus, so they get to set the rules...

/ Selling at local farmers market #18  
I have some friends that retired a couple years ago and they sell at the Farmers Market is Mesquite TX once a month. It's an hour drive each way for them, so loading up a trailer and setting up is a big part of the day. They started out trying to see veggies, eggs and other food items with minimal success and almost no profit. Everyone else was also selling the same stuff. On a whim, they also brought some planted flowers that where in bloom to sell that they where going to plant at home, but never got around to it. Those plants sold out right away!!! They have pretty much quit trying to sell anything edible, and they are now focused on selling live plants. Their green house and gardens are all dedicated to different plants and they are not even growing vegetable to eat for themselves. Most days they can make $400 to $500 with a good weekend hitting a grand. Of course, this is their gross receipts and not profit since they also spend a fair amount getting and growing those plants, then transportation costs. They said their actual profit is about half of what they gross.

Since they are retired, it's more of a hobby and not a source of needed income. They work on those plants every day, so it an hour or more of labor all month for those two days of sales.

One of the best sources of plants that they have found is at Lowes in their discount section. You can get all sorts of different plants already planted, but needing some extra care to bring back to life for a buck or two each. They end up selling these plants for more then Lowes charges for them when they where healthy!!!! For whatever reason, people will spend more for a plant at the Farmers Market then they will at Lowes or Home Depot.

/ Selling at local farmers market #19  
All these posts are good ideas. What you grow and sell depends on your location. Check out your local markets. I find that some things go like hot cakes one year and just sit around the next. It is fickle. You also have to find a market that wants you as a vendor. Check with some market managers. Feel free to check out my website for ideas. Nunamaker Farms - Home

/ Selling at local farmers market #20  
I am a beekeeper and last summer I was looking for a new market for my honey. I stopped by the local farmer's market and got an application to sell/spoke with the person in charge. It turns out that the other established person who sells honey would get to set the price for MY honey. I was very disappointed- I was expecting a "free market", not "price controls"- but I suppose it is their circus, so they get to set the rules...
I don't know much about honey but I know the quality and taste varies a lot depending upon what trees, plants etc the bees are using, to think that someone can control your product is pretty poor.
We have neighbours who sell it roadside with good results, costs more that the supermarket but it is much nicer honey.
Do you have Manuka honey, here it is very expensive and we use it on wounds on the horses to promote healing, not sure if it is just local although if it is you may have a similar type with excellent antiseptic qualities, horse people will queue up for it.