Nailed this Big Boy! (Snapper)

/ Nailed this Big Boy! (Snapper) #1  

Gem99ultra

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400HST
Bass fish population seemed to be going down in one of our ponds this past year or two. Yesterday I spotted this Big Boy, and sent him to Turtle Heaven.

yeah, we're animal rights supporters, but this guy used all of his up.

Snapper.jpg

By the way, none of the so-called turtle traps that I've bought and tried seemed to work. Any ideas?

/ Nailed this Big Boy! (Snapper) #2  
Need to lay a beer can next to him for reference. Could be 3" long for all we know. :)

/ Nailed this Big Boy! (Snapper) #3  
...By the way, none of the so-called turtle traps that I've bought and tried seemed to work. Any ideas?

30-06 from an elevated position...!

/ Nailed this Big Boy! (Snapper) #4  
Bass fish population seemed to be going down in one of our ponds this past year or two. Yesterday I spotted this Big Boy, and sent him to Turtle Heaven.

yeah, we're animal rights supporters, but this guy used all of his up.

View attachment 544954

By the way, none of the so-called turtle traps that I've bought and tried seemed to work. Any ideas?

Never done this myself, but when I was a kid and used to fish in the big lakes in NE Oklahoma, I noticed that some innovative native had taken to nailing fish hooks on the logs where the turtles liked to sun, such that when they slid of the logs it would catch them in the legs. Not very pleasant, but I did see an occasional turtle snagged that way.

/ Nailed this Big Boy! (Snapper) #5  
Glad nobody step on him...OUCH.

/ Nailed this Big Boy! (Snapper) #6  
Good job. I've never seen on in person and from what I understand, they are closer to the coast then I am. I do have a huge red ear turtle population that I'm sure is causing issues with my fish population, but since nobody fishes the pond, it's actually a good thing to reduce the number of fish in the pond. If I had one of those monsters in my pond, I'd do the same thing!!!!

/ Nailed this Big Boy! (Snapper) #7  
Reminds me of the time my brother and I were fishing the creek near our house. We left a stringer of catfish in the creek while we went to the house for lunch or some such; when we returned and retrieved the stringer, all we had left was a stringer of fish heads.

/ Nailed this Big Boy! (Snapper) #8  
Did you eat him? I haven't had turtle but I've heard it's pretty tasty.

/ Nailed this Big Boy! (Snapper) #9  
I just had turtle soup from Mandina's in New Orleans... It was worth the trip down there. I hope you cooked him up!

/ Nailed this Big Boy! (Snapper) #10  
The Amish around here have their kids catch snapping turtles. They sell them to the restaurants in Washington and Baltimore. Its amazing how many people think snapper soup [with a shot o sherry] is made from red snapper. If you clarify that or them they are horrified.