Glow Plugs and Ignition Switch question?

/ Glow Plugs and Ignition Switch question? #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
The wiring on my 2003 Century/Branson tractor is a mess. I've been struggling to get it started for a year now and it's time to do something drastic. I can bypass the key and run jumper wires to start it, but I'm wanting to make it semi normal by using a key like everyone else does to start their tractors.

I'm looking at three position keys on Amazon.

My plan was to have the key power the starter, the electric fuel pump and the solenoid that opens up the fuel for the injector pump. I'll add fuses to each of the three lines. I don't need or want lights at this time. I'm hoping my alternator will work without having to do anything, but if not, I'll deal with that later on.

Then there are the glow plugs. I can't have them on the run position, and I'm unsure how to turn them off after the tractor is running.

I can add a push start button to the glow pugs and just hold it for ten to fifteen seconds before starting it, which should work. And then I got to wondering if I could get a 4 position key and wire the glow plugs to "accessory" and turn the key on to accessory for ten to fifteen seconds, then start the engine. This will turn off the glow plugs, or will it? Is accessory still hot when the engine is running?

Or what should I buy to do this?

/ Glow Plugs and Ignition Switch question? #2  
On my Kubota of about the same vintage, turning on the ignition switch heats the glow plugs and lights an indicator on the panel. When the indicator goes out, the glow plugs are off. I hit the starter and it starts right up. You should have a timer and relay to do something similar. If you don't have a shop and parts manual, check with your dealer for the info.

One thing my dad taught me 50 years ago was always buy a shop manual and a parts manual when you buy a new tractor. The shop manual tells you how to fix it, and the exploded drawings in the parts manual shows how things go back together. :laughing:

/ Glow Plugs and Ignition Switch question? #4  
There are several ways to do your wiring, a normal switch yes the acc position is normally hot in the run mode.
You can use the switch Peter315 shows, or your 3 position switch plus a push button, the push button can either go to the glow plugs or the starter solenoid, you should use a relay on which ever method you use to activate the glow plugs. You will have to give your alternator some excitation voltage unless it's been changed to a one wire.
Luck

/ Glow Plugs and Ignition Switch question? #5  
My Kubota is set up so that the glow plugs are on when the ignition key is in the start position, but the starter won't turn over until the clutch is depressed. Normally I hold the key in the start position for about 10 seconds then push in the clutch to start the engine. When the key is released that turns off the glow plugs.

/ Glow Plugs and Ignition Switch question?
There are several ways to do your wiring, a normal switch yes the acc position is normally hot in the run mode.
You can use the switch Peter315 shows, or your 3 position switch plus a push button, the push button can either go to the glow plugs or the starter solenoid, you should use a relay on which ever method you use to activate the glow plugs. You will have to give your alternator some excitation voltage unless it's been changed to a one wire.
Luck

Thanks. That's what I was thinking.

I have a relay on my glow plugs. I've replaced it twice now because of whatever my wiring issue is, they are dying on me, which is another reason to bypass everything.

If I find a timer, then that's probably the best way to go. I'm sure I already have one, but since I didn't get a wiring diagram it's going to be a challenge to figure out what and where it is. When I bought the tractor Century and Branson had everything online. There was no need to buy a parts diagram or anything else. But for whatever reason, they took all of that down and nobody seems to be able to find one.