Platform for Washer and Dryer

/ Platform for Washer and Dryer #1  

kcflhrc

Veteran Member
Tractor
2013 John Deere 3032E
So we have a set of GE Front Loaders and my wife would like me to make a platform to raise them off the ground a little. I'm thinking a 2x6 frame and some 3/4" plywood on top with an overhang. Anyone done this and thought's? The 2x6 frame will run the perimeter with some additional 2x6 for cross bracing. Probably put some kind of board at the front as to make sure they don't jump off the platform. Probably use joist hangers for the cross pieces.

/ Platform for Washer and Dryer #2  
Sounds like overkill to me. 2 x 4’s would be plenty. If they’re jumping around a lot, then you probably need to adjust the feet or run some washing machine cleaner through them to get out the caked on detergent at the the back of the drum.

/ Platform for Washer and Dryer #3  
We used 2x4's with 3/4 plywood that's plenty

/ Platform for Washer and Dryer #4  
I assume you are looking at 2x6 for the height? No need for joist hangers, just end nail or screw the cross pieces.

/ Platform for Washer and Dryer #5  
you can get fancy store baught ones with built in drawers

/ Platform for Washer and Dryer
I want the 2x6 for the height. They aren't jumping around, just a precaution if they do. A 2x4 is only going to raise them a little over 4 inches, hardly worth the effort is why I'm going 2x6. The store bought one's are about $500 for the pair. I can buy lots of lumber and beer with $500

/ Platform for Washer and Dryer #7  
you can get fancy store baught ones with built in drawers

Yes to this but they can be pricey. Years ago in another house had the homemade platform thing. Great until all you would need is to slide one out a foot or so to do a repair and end having to take it off the platform.

I got the store bought ones now.

/ Platform for Washer and Dryer #8  
I want the 2x6 for the height. They aren't jumping around, just a precaution if they do. A 2x4 is only going to raise them a little over 4 inches, hardly worth the effort is why I'm going 2x6. The store bought one's are about $500 for the pair. I can buy lots of lumber and beer with $500

Right on. We had a huge issue with our Samsung washer, I won't get into the debacle that turned into. We had the pedestals with them. Eventually got Samsung to reimburse us for both the washer and dryer, made Home Depot come get them, refund us 100% of our money.

Took that money, bought some 2x4's made a probably 1' tall pedestal using 2x4s and 3/4" ply. I built it like framing a wall for a house. 16" OC, along with a center support. It's rock solid. I wouldn't waste your money on 2x6. I jumped all over my platform and it didn't even bounce a touch.

Then bought really nice LG washer and dryer. Those have been problem free. The upside is that with my own built pedestal, the w/d actually fit in the closet BETTER than with factory units. Win/WIN!

/ Platform for Washer and Dryer #9  
2x6 is only 5 1/2"...add 3/4" is 6 1/4". That's a little raise but is it enough for SWMBO? I understand the desire to minimize the bending but moving up to a 2x8 or a 2x10 might fit the bill. Biggest issue IMHO is finding a stick lumber that will be straight (and stay that way) so I'd go with a glued-up laminate of 3/4" plywood instead (BC should suffice). There is some weight involved so maybe 2 frames instead of one or proper support to hold the 3/4" top? It's a laundry set up so I'd avoid particle board. And you might want to plan for those adjustable rubber feet.

/ Platform for Washer and Dryer #10  
personally I think you are doing this backwards......if the design factor is making the height correct for your wife then you should be measuring where she would like the door and controls and then build it to that height....easiest way is take a piece of cardboard cut to the washer or dryer size and draw on the door and controls and then hold it up at various heights until your wife says this is good.......measure down to the floor and that will tell you the height of the base.....washer/dryers don't weigh a lot so it won't take much to hold them up.......Jack