Best sources for bulbs and trees in quantity

/ Best sources for bulbs and trees in quantity #1  

DrRod

Platinum Member
Ellicott City, MD - Farm in Orbisonia PA (south ce
Tractor
John Deere 4110
Greetings,

I just added a bit of land to our hobby farm.

One corner sits between too small streams and just cries out for a plot of daffodils.

There is a field along a large sweeping "S" curve. I can just see a line of trees bordering the length of that curve.

The nursery sites I've seen all seem pretty costly when buying 100+ bulbs or 15+ trees -- can you point me to a good source?

Incidentally, I would also take any recommendations on what sort of trees might work best from aesthetic and survival aspects. I've considered hickories because they do well here and maybe maples for fall color. I've tried Chinese chestnuts in other places but survival has been spotty. Apples or other fruit trees would be great but the bears break them down when they start to produce. Redbuds do very well here and look spectacular in spring. Anything I haven't thought of?

All of your thoughts are most welcome.

/ Best sources for bulbs and trees in quantity #4  
I bought 200 daffodils last Fall from White Fence Farms. High quality, maybe not cheap but worth it.

/ Best sources for bulbs and trees in quantity #5  
Dept of Natural Resources here in Ea WA state use to take orders for several popular types of trees. I think the smallest order was 25 trees and if you wanted more than, I think it was, 500 of a specific type you had to contact them early and make arrangements. Most of the trees were only about a foot tall and looked like a piece of spaghetti with a tiny root wad.

Knowing our losses would be high - we usually bought 100 to 150 of one species each year. Our losses were high - we planted in areas that were too dry and the miserable dam pocket gophers loved the tiny, young, tender roots. However, this program went on for about eight years and we now have a few stands of non-native trees doing fairly well.

/ Best sources for bulbs and trees in quantity #6  
Check "Arbor Day foundation" online. We purchased trees from them a couple years ago, really cheap. The trees are small barefoot, but they grew really fast. We just thought about getting pines from them again this year, was around $40 for 50 12-16" 2yr old seedlings. Most of the pines I got from them 3 yrs ago (same size) are now well between 6-7' tall, 3ft diameter spread. They have a lot of different trees, plants, and shrubs. Not sure about bulbs. We ussually get bulbs via mail order catalogs.(Holland bulbs, etc..)

/ Best sources for bulbs and trees in quantity #7  
Forestry Departments (or similar agencies) in Maryland and other states maintain tree nurseries that sell to the public. Here's the site for Maryland's nursery --http://nursery.dnr.maryland.gov/.

Steve

Same here in Quebec, they supplied us with hundreds of seedling firs, pines and even oak trees to reforest road sides that were bulldozed in the road making process.
AS time went by we harvested lupines and now have a very colorful roadside.
For vast bare areas I purchased a huge bagfull of grass seeds from a nursery that wholesaled to the gardeners.
The seeds were sweepings from spillage but great for country roadside. ($10.00 for 50 lbs)

/ Best sources for bulbs and trees in quantity #8  
Here in Michigan, we have county Conservation Districts. A lot of them sell trees semi-annually for a fund raiser to fund their operation. They are usually quite a bit lower in price than buying from nurseries. I have bought trees from online retailers like Evergreen Trees - Seedlings And Transplants - Spruce, Pine, Fir, Cedar, Hemlock and Larch, which is pretty good. And big trees from Dutchman Dutchman Tree Farms Homepage. I have bought/planted thousands of trees through out local conservation district, Otsego Conservation District - Home , and have volunteered there for about 14 years helping wrap the trees each spring and fall. You probably have sources like these close by, just ask around.....

/ Best sources for bulbs and trees in quantity #9  
jerryk - thanks for the info on nurserymen.com

picked up 25 balsam fir plugs. a bit pricey but they seem nice.

:)))

/ Best sources for bulbs and trees in quantity #10  
I can second lawyer nursery great product! also check your local (county) conservation districts ours has a seedling sale every year. This year the county over from us is selling paw-paws for the first time so I am buying from them this year.