Anybody here use solar well pump?

/ Anybody here use solar well pump? #1  

MacLawn

Veteran Member
Red Clay Country, GA & Mississippi Prarie
Tractor
JD 2210
Yesterday I came across a solar well pump. RPS is name of company I came across, and it seems to be good. My well is 500' deep, 6" drilled, excellent water since 1975 when I had it drilled. No problems in all these years, except one pump went out about 10 years ago. From their site, seems I could get one for my well for about $2,000-3,000 dollars. Main reason I'm interested is our power goes out often and with solar pump, I'd be good for water. Not counting the SHTF scenario that people say is coming...anyway, this would even save a bit of electric power money, plus open my breaker panel for the pump power.

/ Anybody here use solar well pump? #2  
The only solar well pump I have ever seen in action was one installed by a friend about 20 years ago. It used a solar panel to charge batteries, which ran a low volume piston pump from a deep well about the same as yours. He pumped into a 3000 gallon buried cistern with about a 40' drop to the house. That gave usable water pressure, but nothing impressive. His solar array was inadequate, not surprising 20 years ago, so he had to use a battery charger on a 120v. line to keep the batteries from discharging. He was using lead-acid, and even deep cycle batteries won't survive full discharges for long.

/ Anybody here use solar well pump? #3  
Do you want to pressurize the water and use it in your domestic system or is this going to a holding tank for cows etc? Reason I ask is because most solar systems are not set-up to be used with pressurized systems like that. The ones I install flow 5-8 gpm into an open tank. The average well pump uses 1100-1600 watts of power and the average solar uses more like 200-500 watts.

/ Anybody here use solar well pump? #4  
It doesn't appear that it is for home use... it pumps into a holding tank. Any household level pressurization is additional, not provided. Wouldn't fit my needs, but thanks for mentioning it. :)

/ Anybody here use solar well pump? #5  
Yes - my neighbor, a big rancher, has two locations where water is pumped via solar powered shallow well pumps. Both locations are a far distance from commercial power. He checks each location once a month while they are in use - May thru October - and wipes the dirt/dust off the solar cells. He's used them both for five plus years with no abnormal difficulties. These sites provide water to at least 500 head of cattle.

/ Anybody here use solar well pump? #6  
No experience with a “solar pump” but it doesn’t seem to make sense. If the voltage drops (batteries, solar panels etc) the amps increase meaning bigger wire. I’m thinking it’s a normal pump with an inverter, batteries and solar panel. The other option is the pump could be DC. If that’s the case it would require some interesting equipment.

I guess my bottom line would be to think about a normal pump or one of the nice 3 phase variable speed pumps. Then build a generic solar system (if that’s what you need) that can power the pump and anything else that needs power.

Also look into a hand pump. Most pumps are set well (pun intended) below the water level. So a hand pump doesn’t need to be at 500’.

/ Anybody here use solar well pump? #7  
Most solar pumps are designed to fill a reservoir using 200-300watts of panels when the sun shines. A float switch can be wired in to stop flow if the reservoir is full if desired.

One pump you might look at are the Grundfos SQ series. The run on 30-300DC and 90-240AC....same pump. You can run on grid power normally, and backup DC power when needed.

To run an "on demand" system like the typical AC well setup requires a lot more panel watts, plus a battery bank, charge controller, etc, because "on demand" means you'd likely want water when the sun isn't shining.

/ Anybody here use solar well pump? #8  
Most solar pumps are designed to fill a reservoir using 200-300watts of panels when the sun shines. A float switch can be wired in to stop flow if the reservoir is full if desired.

One pump you might look at are the Grundfos SQ series. The run on 30-300DC and 90-240AC....same pump. You can run on grid power normally, and backup DC power when needed.

To run an "on demand" system like the typical AC well setup requires a lot more panel watts, plus a battery bank, charge controller, etc, because "on demand" means you'd likely want water when the sun isn't shining.

Yah this makes a lot more sense! A pump barely big enough to deliver something like 20 psi and a few gpm to SLOWLY fill a reservoir......then a second pump to deliver normal pressure and flow to the house.

/ Anybody here use solar well pump? #9  
My well is 100% solar. I did it all myself.

It has been flawless for over 12 years. The down hole pump is a Grundfos 6fx I think. It is a multi voltage pump that will run on almost any voltage Ac or dc. I run mine on 6 solar panels producing 72 volts at about 400 watts. It pumps about 3 gallons a minute on the 72 volts. i pump into a 1500 gallon storage tank.

from the storage tank I use a separate pump to pressurize my pressure tank. I use 6 12 volt 40 watt panels in parallel to charge a storage battery that drives a 12 volt RV type pump. That pump charges the pressure tank.

I don't need it but I can pump an easy 1000 gallons a day if I had to. It is simple and it works. Trying to use the same pump to pump from the well and charge a pressure tank with solar is not a good idea. Most pumps simply will not do it. My well pump is multi voltage and I can run it off of a generator if needed. I have only had to do that one time.

/ Anybody here use solar well pump? #10  
My well is 100% solar. I did it all myself.

It has been flawless for over 12 years. The down hole pump is a Grundfos 6fx I think. It is a multi voltage pump that will run on almost any voltage Ac or dc. I run mine on 6 solar panels producing 72 volts at about 400 watts. It pumps about 3 gallons a minute on the 72 volts. i pump into a 1500 gallon storage tank.

from the storage tank I use a separate pump to pressurize my pressure tank. I use 6 12 volt 40 watt panels in parallel to charge a storage battery that drives a 12 volt RV type pump. That pump charges the pressure tank.

I don't need it but I can pump an easy 1000 gallons a day if I had to. It is simple and it works. Trying to use the same pump to pump from the well and charge a pressure tank with solar is not a good idea. Most pumps simply will not do it. My well pump is multi voltage and I can run it off of a generator if needed. I have only had to do that one time.

How deep is the water level? How deep is the pump?