How would you repair this driveway?

/ How would you repair this driveway? #1  

jymbee

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 1652, 1949 Farmall H
Multiple storms have taken their toll on the steepest part of one of our driveways. Material there is crusher run (stone + stone dust) on top of a layer of gravel. I'd like to think that there's enough there to smooth it out somehow rather than have to haul in more fill ($$$).

drive.jpg

/ How would you repair this driveway? #2  
Looks like you have material there, just needs to be graded back up onto the path. Do whatever you can to keep the water from flowing on the road. Runoff is ok but not flowing water. Beginning wherever that water flow starts, redirect that flow to a ditch. Regrade the uphill side ditch and then install as many culverts as necessary (usually at each curve) to get that water to the downhill side. :drink:

/ How would you repair this driveway? #3  
Wha' old Tin said. Make sure ditches are clean, and looks like they need to be a bit deeper. Try to find one of those leveler thingamajigs, not blade nor box blade, but the kind that has different angled blades that you just pull behind tractor. Like i have.

/ How would you repair this driveway? #4  
The key to maintaining gravel lanes on grades is to get the runoff to run across the lane rather than down the lane (hills)...
That means either pitching the lane and ditching one side or the other...Or...crown the lane and ditch both sides and use culverts where needed...

/ How would you repair this driveway? #5  
What these guys said. It's kinda hard to tell the overall slope from the pic, but looks like the drive heads uphill, yeah? Gravel driveways on hills need a big crown even more, to make sure the water goes downhill by heading OFF the driveway and into a ditch.

The bottom of your ruts look pretty rocky to me still. I'd think you are ok just re-crowning the road and go from there. What tools (implements) do you have?

/ How would you repair this driveway?
Wha' old Tin said. Make sure ditches are clean, and looks like they need to be a bit deeper. Try to find one of those leveler thingamajigs, not blade nor box blade, but the kind that has different angled blades that you just pull behind tractor. Like i have.

So I went in to Tractor Supply and told them I wanted to buy one of those "leveler thingamajigs" but they just looked at me like I was nuts! :D

Any additional specifics or perhaps a pic would be appreciated!

/ How would you repair this driveway?
What these guys said. It's kinda hard to tell the overall slope from the pic, but looks like the drive heads uphill, yeah? Gravel driveways on hills need a big crown even more, to make sure the water goes downhill by heading OFF the driveway and into a ditch.

The bottom of your ruts look pretty rocky to me still. I'd think you are ok just re-crowning the road and go from there. What tools (implements) do you have?

Looking at the pic now I see that it doesn't really show the steepness of the grade but yes, it's fairly steep going uphill. In hindsight I don't think the original contractor crowned sufficiently but nothing I can do about that now.

Some good advice here from those responding. I have a Massey 1652 w/ FEL & backhoe and I would consider purchasing an attachment that would work for this given we have another, even longer stretch of drive that also tends to wash out over time.

/ How would you repair this driveway? #8  
I believe he is referring to a Land Plane.

/ How would you repair this driveway? #9  
Even a back blade can be pitched with the adjustable 3pt link to put a crown back in.

/ How would you repair this driveway? #10  
Nice. Does the backhoe come off easily enough? You're going to want use rear implements on the 3-pt hitch. People will recommend a "land-plane" leveler, but you can also get the job done with a scraper blade and/or box blade. The box blade with scarifiers (shanks) will rip it all up, requiring re-compaction. I usually get good results with my simple rear scraper blade; just set it up so you pull material hard towards the road center and make enough passes until you have a big sharp crown built up. Then flip the blade around, level/straighten it out, and drag it back out smooth. Followed by compaction by just driving on it a lot.