Country deliveries to 'locked gate'... what do you do?

/ Country deliveries to 'locked gate'... what do you do? #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
We live way out in the country, and my wife is home alone some evenings. About 2 months ago, a 'guy' came to the door about 9pm asking goofy crap... basically casing the place. I honestly believe he would have attacked my wife (home invasion) had our dogs not been in the doorway, ready to eat him. I think it finally woke her up to why I have pistols squirreled away around the house. And she has been going to the shooting range with me.

Anyway, I put a locked gate up on our driveway. Which works well for the moment. Since this is a rental, I don't want to install an electronic gate etc., so we are stuck with a padlock, for the time being. We are fine with it, in all ways except... deliveries can't get to the house, so are left at the gate, which is about 1/4mile from the house, and along a relatively busy (for the country) road. We have not had anything stolen as yet, but it still makes me think about securing it a little better somehow.

I've thought about everything from one of those 'Rubbermaid' boxes for hoses, sitting out there. My wife would hate this appearance. To building a metal box about 3x3x3ft or so, for packages to be left within by the delivery guy.

But I thought I'd ask if any of you have this issue and how you have addressed it?

/ Country deliveries to 'locked gate'... what do you do? #2  
I like the steel box idea. Make it lockable by the delivery person. You could (I would) be creative and install some kind of electronic system indicating a package had been delivered.

Plan B. A catapult, where a driver would dial in the approx weight of the package, and send it over the wall.

/ Country deliveries to 'locked gate'... what do you do? #3  
Hiding packages behind shrubbery next to gate worked for me,but now UPS and the mailman leave them at my parents house when I'm not at home.

/ Country deliveries to 'locked gate'... what do you do? #4  
When the varmints (youngins) kept tearing up the mail boxes on my road, I just went to the post office and got a larger box there. If a package was too big for that, they would put it into a very large box and leave the key in my small box. Works great for packages, especially if you are not in a permanent location (renting). It wasn't very much, maybe $40 a year? I got my mailbox put up at my house now so if someone wants to "tear it up", they will have to go about 200 yards up my drive and into the woods....might have three chihuahuas to sick on 'em. Snicker in particular likes to snack on fingers....:eek:

QFULXnFm.jpg

/ Country deliveries to 'locked gate'... what do you do? #5  
I think you can have your local post office as the delivery point also. A neighbor "out front" (if you know them) might work also.
I've got "patrol dog" & private, etc signs at the gate but leave it open, but the gate's 4-500' in. Something about a closed gate to some people is inviting and possibly a sign that no one's there. :confused3:

/ Country deliveries to 'locked gate'... what do you do? #6  
Something about a closed gate to some people is inviting and possibly a sign that no one's there. :confused3:

I keep my gate closed all the time, so it isn't a sign that someone is home or not. And I make it a point to be sure the gate is closed when I'm working in sight of the road (more sign that the gate isn't a sign)

Bruce

/ Country deliveries to 'locked gate'... what do you do? #7  
I'm in the same situation with the locked gates. For USPS deliveries, I have notified them not to leave any packages that will not fit in the mailbox. They leave a notice and I go pick it up at the PO. Not too bad, only about 6 miles each way. For packages from UPS and FedEx, I have registered on their sites. I get immediate emails when the packages are delivered and I hightail it to get the packages At the gate. You can register on the USPS site to track your packages too.

/ Country deliveries to 'locked gate'... what do you do? #8  
My friend has a steel toolbox down by his gate. With a push set the numbers type combination lock. The fedex/ups/usps guys have the combo but he also has a sign on it for somebody to call his cell and he can give them the combo if he knows who and what is being delivered.

/ Country deliveries to 'locked gate'... what do you do? #9  
I leave a trash can for deliveries when the gate is closed or the driveway is covered in snow.....read all winter!
I just drive a t post and slide the handle over it.

/ Country deliveries to 'locked gate'... what do you do? #10  
I just installed a large mailbox. Most deliveries come by USPS, and 90% of them will fit in the large mailbox. It's rare that UPS or FedEx will drive out in the country to make a delivery, they just hand it off to the posties.