Vehicle keys - making duplicates

/ Vehicle keys - making duplicates #1  

beowulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3410 HST, J Deere riding mower
I am not sure which forum is most appropriate for this - just wanted to get some input and sure I will find it somewhere on TBN.

We have only one coded key for our Honda Pilot (key has three buttons -lock / unlock and panic). My wife lost that one, which caused her some distress as she was parked partially blocking an alley at the time when she was dropping off donated clothes. The good news is that she found it while I was on the road on the way to town to help out.

Now, however, we decided we really should have a second key (we bought the car used and only received one key). We can order the blank keys on Amazon - 2 blanks for $30 (stated to be for the same vehicle make and year and comments say they will work), but I cannot find a place to have the blanks cut at a reasonable cost. Dealer won't cut any non-Honda key blanks (says the metal is different and too hard for their machine?), and wants $98 for their key plus $131 to code and set it up for total of $230 plus tax. A local lock smith I called wants a similar amount. I visited a couple of local key making outlets and they say they cannot cut me a duplicate of this key. I found an on-line key place which will sell a key for $65 and will cut it for $75 for a total of $140, and will provide coding instructions. This all seems like a lot for a duplicate key, but I guess I will have to bite the bullet if I want an extra key.

BTW, I am thinking I may avoid the $131 dealer coding costs as I have found those instructions on-line, and have coded my F-150 keys from time to time when the fob batteries went out. But if I screw that up, it is possible that even our existing key might no longer work, so there's that.

Any ideas?

/ Vehicle keys - making duplicates #2  
I need to do the same thing for my 2006 Camry. I found on Amazon about ordering a reprogramable key thingamajig, but afraid to try it. Maybe someone here has done this?

/ Vehicle keys - making duplicates
MacLawn, For my F-150 I ordered the separate fobs for the vehicle from Amazon. I did not need keys cut as I had the keys - just wanted to be able to unlock and lock doors remotely with the fob. But, with supplied instructions, I did have to "program the fobs". They had the lock, unlock and alarm buttons. I was able to program the fobs, and did that more than once - when a battery went out. BUT I am told re my Honda inquiries, (just today) that I will be able to program the 3 button remote, BUT that a dealer or locksmith will have to program the "blade" (transponder)- not sure why, but that is what I am being told on a chat line re an on-line key supplier. Just be aware and ask specific questions re your vehicle.

Last edited:
   / Vehicle keys - making duplicates #4  
Welcome to the "New World Order".

Doofy - so I see. As far as I can tell, I am stuck, and will have to take the least expensive option - though still expensive - and use a locksmith. I found one today that will order a blank, and cut it and do all programing for about $130. I asked what it would cost for him to cut my own blank and program it -- $120. So, if I want an extra key for insurance I will have to pay what they ask. We bought the car from a dealer - used. I am sure I could have bargained to have an extra key thrown in for free at time of purchase but did not think of it then.

BTW - I see that I can buy a used ("very good" rated) ignition switch with keys for about $75. So there's that option, but that requires replacing existing ignition switch and having more faith that that would all work out than I have right now and it is not worth the minor savings ($75 vs $131). Guess I will pay the $130 and get the one key. It is what it is.

/ Vehicle keys - making duplicates #6  
On 1-22-2018, I got an extra key for our 2012 Ford Escape when one of the 2 we had quit working. I just didn't feel like taking any chances, so I just went to the Ford dealer from whom we bought that car. So the key (fob or whatever) was $166.95 plus labor of $40, plus sales tax of $13.77. In other words, it cost me $220.72.

I said that key quit working. Actually the key worked, but the remote function would not lock or unlock the doors. I tried replacing the battery, but that didn't help. And the service advisor at the dealership tried a number of things that also didn't work. So I still have that old key and it'll work to start the engine, and to unlock the doors the old fashioned way - with the key.:laughing:

/ Vehicle keys - making duplicates #7  
I replaced the electronic part on a pilot key fob. I programmed it myself.

Buckeye, I am somewhat confidant that I can program the "remote functions", i.e., lock and unlock on the fob, ( I have done that before for my F-150) but I am being told that any key I buy and have cut also has to have the transponder programed and that can only be done by a dealer or locksmith. That is the anti-theft aspect - without that being programed the car won't recognize the key and it won't start with the unprogrammed key. There are some youtube videos re how to bypass the transponders all together so that any cut key will work to start the car but I am not going to go down that road - I could likely screw that up.

The somewhat good news, I guess, is that just now I located a lock smith that will cut a key and program it so it will start the car for $95. Or two such keys for $143. The keys will not also be keys with the remote lock/unlock features but I don't really need those functions on spare keys and in any event can likely just purchase a fob on Amazon for those functions and program that independently.

/ Vehicle keys - making duplicates #9  
Doofy - so I see. As far as I can tell, I am stuck, and will have to take the least expensive option - though still expensive - and use a locksmith. I found one today that will order a blank, and cut it and do all programing for about $130. I asked what it would cost for him to cut my own blank and program it -- $120. So, if I want an extra key for insurance I will have to pay what they ask. We bought the car from a dealer - used. I am sure I could have bargained to have an extra key thrown in for free at time of purchase but did not think of it then.

BTW - I see that I can buy a used ("very good" rated) ignition switch with keys for about $75. So there's that option, but that requires replacing existing ignition switch and having more faith that that would all work out than I have right now and it is not worth the minor savings ($75 vs $131). Guess I will pay the $130 and get the one key. It is what it is.

Sometimes, you just have to bite the bullet. I would certainly go the Locksmith route rather than the Dealer.

/ Vehicle keys - making duplicates #10  
Most ACE hardware have the capability to cut and program almost any auto key.