Toilets: One piece or two?

/ Toilets: One piece or two? #1  

NibbanaFarm

Silver Member
Tractor
BCS 739, Cub Cadet 2544
Wondering if anybody knows the answer to this. I am going to replace a toilet and want to get an American Standard Champion 4. They come in one piece and two piece models. I would like to get the one piece but was told by a plumber that (years ago) they didn't like the one piece toilets because they clogged more easily. Does anybody know if there is any difference in the flushing power of these two toilets?

Thanks.

/ Toilets: One piece or two? #2  
I installed two, one piece water saver toilets when I remodeled my parents home last year. Zero issues, they flush as good or better as conventional toilets and no tank leak/wobble to worry about. Antidotal, but I will not be installing two piece toilets again.

/ Toilets: One piece or two? #3  
One piece is the only way to go :) I have 3 installed 6 years ago and no issues. The two piece can wobble and leak over time. I have also seen the tank bolts rust out depending on water quality but that takes a while.

/ Toilets: One piece or two? #4  
From the plumber standpoint we always hated working on a one piece. However we had our favorite brands etc too. In my house it’s two piece only but the reality is it’s your money.......spend it how you wish.

/ Toilets: One piece or two? #5  
I don't know about clogging... but the only time I've had a problem with a toilet was when there was a leak between the reservoir and the bowl. So, given an equal option, I'd go with one piece.

This is likely the reason the plumber doesn't want you to get one. Fewer issues = fewer calls... heh

/ Toilets: One piece or two? #6  
Ihave installed and repaired many toilets . the new one piece toilets are good Some of the old ones were slow to flush.The only drawback to the one piece is there heavier to install by yourself.

/ Toilets: One piece or two? #7  
Ihave installed and repaired many toilets . the new one piece toilets are good Some of the old ones were slow to flush.The only drawback to the one piece is there heavier to install by yourself.

Good Point!!!

/ Toilets: One piece or two? #8  
I recently installed two AS Champion 2 piece toilets, they work well, much better than the old ones. I found that you have to really get the tank bolts tight to compress the rubber seal between the tank and stool, if you don't the tank will wobble. I worried the whole time when tightening the first one that I might crack the porcelain, but it cranked down just fine. Each piece was about all I wanted to haul up a couple of flights of stairs.

/ Toilets: One piece or two?
From the plumber standpoint we always hated working on a one piece. However we had our favorite brands etc too. In my house it’s two piece only but the reality is it’s your money.......spend it how you wish.

Why did you hate working on the one piece?

My wife would like a one piece just because it's easier to clean. About $100 more. No big deal to me as long as the thing flushes equally well. I realize it's a heavier install. But I only have to go up 4 step and I have a good hand truck. And hopefully, it will outlast me.

/ Toilets: One piece or two? #10  
I have two 2-piece toilets in my house... the whole house is plumbed on tank water.

In the 20+ years that the house has been in existence I've only had to deal with replacing the gasket (leading into the bowl) on the upstairs unit. The parts were readily available at my town's hardware store. I replaced both rubber gaskets (as you do)... easy-peasy.

However, due to tank water being the supply... the flushing mechanism buggered up beyond replacement. I went into the 'Big Smoke' hardware store, where I found a replacement cistern (again, readily available. I guess, even after 20+ years, toilet systems haven't changed) Very easy to exchange the old for new.

It would've been an extreme embuggerance to have replaced an all-in-one unit. Especially on your own.

Think to the future, is my advice.