Soup Beans

/ Soup Beans #1  

TNhobbyfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 Polaris Ranger 500
Back in the day my mama would make a big pot of white beans and she called them soup beans. Anyone else ever hear white beans called soup beans? They sure were good.

/ Soup Beans #2  
Jerry, the white beans we used to have were called Navy Beans. So living in Oklahoma and Texas, we didn't call them soup beans, but even a cursory glance online shows that was a common name in your part of the country. But I like'em by whatever name.:laughing:

/ Soup Beans #3  
I grew up in Southern California - I just remember them being "beans". My wife and her family are from Philadelphia MS and Memphis TN and she confirms they were called "Soup Beans". She calls 'em Navy Beans now. I hate it when she sends me to the store with a list that just says "a can of beans"... Do you know how many different kind of "beans" there are?!! :confused2:

/ Soup Beans #4  
Bill, that sounds like my wife's grocery list. Inevitably, I have to call to ask what she meant. Maybe that's good, though, since that's the only time my cell phone gets used.:laughing: Incidentally, when we got married, my wife told me that her family liked "October Beans" instead of Pinto Beans. It was many years before I learned what she was talking about. And now, that's what I had today, except instead of "October Beans", the local Kroger's store has them labelled as "Cranberry Beans". And Kroger's is the only place in this part of the country that I've found them. They aren't really much different from Pinto Beans; maybe a tiny bit sweeter.

/ Soup Beans #5  
Bill, that sounds like my wife's grocery list. Inevitably, I have to call to ask what she meant. Maybe that's good, though, since that's the only time my cell phone gets used.:laughing: Incidentally, when we got married, my wife told me that her family liked "October Beans" instead of Pinto Beans. It was many years before I learned what she was talking about. And now, that's what I had today, except instead of "October Beans", the local Kroger's store has them labelled as "Cranberry Beans". And Kroger's is the only place in this part of the country that I've found them. They aren't really much different from Pinto Beans; maybe a tiny bit sweeter.

My late wife cooked Cranberry Beans. They must have been available at Winn-Dixie (now defunct), Bi-Lo, Ingles, or WM in SC.

Steve

/ Soup Beans #7  
The picture of the beans looks like the Cranberry Beans we buy, but that shows $9.75 a pound???? I paid $1.69 a pound at a Denton, TX, Kroger's a couple of days ago.

/ Soup Beans #8  
Those soup beans are navy beans around here. Makes no diff what you call them - they are good.

/ Soup Beans #9  
Soup Beans and cornbread! OH YEA!
I'm from Cincinnati and there is a large Kentucky influence where they are very popular.

/ Soup Beans #10  
I've never heard em called white beans.....