Why is my Shindawa leaf blower hard starting?

/ Why is my Shindawa leaf blower hard starting? #11  
This will be interesting......I’ve never seen a fuel filter cause slow starting when cold with no other symptoms. Typically, if they start, they won’t have power or die with full throttle from lack of fuel......but will idle.

Please do keep us posted.

/ Why is my Shindawa leaf blower hard starting?
I'm going to fish the fuel filter out tomorrow and take a look.

/ Why is my Shindawa leaf blower hard starting? #13  
I'm going to fish the fuel filter out tomorrow and take a look.

If I was short a new in tank filter, sometimes I could get decent results by using compressed air and blowing the filter out in reverse to clear the element enough to allow fuel to flow better. Doesn't always work, but it's worth a try for diagnostics of a starting issue.
Think about it- E-10 goes through phase separation if it sits, and it absorbs atmospheric water/condensation in the tank. The varnishes and other things in gasoline, regardless of what type used, can easily close up a micronic fuel filter, especially if the filter dries out if the tank becomes empty, or the number of gallons passing through the filter, (time factor).
When did you last change it? Ever? If not ever changed, it's time.
I have a Shin B.Pak blower too and it always starts well, but when it stopped doing so the first place aside from the right s.plug is the in-tank filter change.

/ Why is my Shindawa leaf blower hard starting? #14  
Had a problem with a chainsaw that would fire but not start, after a hand full of blisters and near on a swimming lesson for the chainsaw I eventually found a wasp nest in the exhaust in the bend (we have a native wasp that builds mud nests anywhere it likes).
I inspected some other tools and found they also built a nest in the air intake in my stihl brushcutter.
A piece of stiff wire will coax it out.

/ Why is my Shindawa leaf blower hard starting? #15  
Had a problem with a chainsaw that would fire but not start, after a hand full of blisters and near on a swimming lesson for the chainsaw I eventually found a wasp nest in the exhaust in the bend (we have a native wasp that builds mud nests anywhere it likes).
I inspected some other tools and found they also built a nest in the air intake in my stihl brushcutter.
A piece of stiff wire will coax it out.

If you're referring to the mud-dauber wasp (industrious buggers!) then, yes, they have them in N.A. too.

:grumpy:

/ Why is my Shindawa leaf blower hard starting? #16  
I was and didn't know that, I deliberately avoided the name so as not to confuse anyone.
I consider myself enlightened:thumbsup:

/ Why is my Shindawa leaf blower hard starting? #17  
I’ve got a Shindawa string trimmer ( best trimmer I’ve ever had) it’ll only run it idle for 30 seconds or until it warms up. I watched a landscaper grab his and flip it upside down. His was even worse running than mine until he flipped it upside down and ran it for about 5 seconds. The same trick works on mine. Anyone know why?

/ Why is my Shindawa leaf blower hard starting?
Well, I tried turning it upside down and it was still hard starting so rule that out. Then I fished out the fuel filter and it looked pretty crappy. For as maintenance minded as I am, I wonder why I never changed it? That will happen tomorrow when I stop at a saw shop and get a replacement filter. Then we'll see if that helps. Stay tuned.

/ Why is my Shindawa leaf blower hard starting? #19  
I'm seeing a lot of package deals on e-bay when shopping for new carbs...

These days for many 2 cycle engines it is cheaper to buy a new carb. than it is rebuild it...I've actually seen rebuild kits that cost more than an OEM carb...

...the last carb I bought also came with gaskets, primer bulb, new fuel lines the in-tank fuel strainer and a new spark plug...all for less than $20 including shipping...

/ Why is my Shindawa leaf blower hard starting? #20  
One other possibility for hard starting with a little age is carboned/stuck piston ring(s). My Husky hand-held blower had that problem in it's 3rd season. I ordered a new jug & piston at my dealer's suggestion (I do my own repairs) and sure enough that was the problem. I bought a new ring for the old piston, cleaned the land with a broken piece of the old ring and lubed it all up and put it away for a rainy day. Ever since I remove the spark plug and spray some heavy-bodied penetrating oil (Thrust) in the cylinder at the end of the season and the problem hasn't reoccurred since in 5 years. I use strictly premium non-ethanol gas and either Husky or Stihl oil at 50:1. I do not use any additives in my gas, only in my diesel.