Why is my Shindawa leaf blower hard starting?

/ Why is my Shindawa leaf blower hard starting? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I have an 8 or so year old Shindawa two stroke gas leaf blower that is hard starting and I don't know where to look. This started late last summer so I replaced the plug with the same kind. It still starts hard, especially when it's cold. Where it used to start on the second pull, it now takes five or six pulls and if it's maybe in the 50's it might take 10 or 12 pulls.

I almost always have used no-ethanol gas, always good two stroke oil and am machinery savvy. It gets run out of fuel before storage. I don't use this much so that's the extent of what I have done. I have had Shindawa products in the past and never any issue. Any advice where to look or what to try would be appreciated. If a model number or pics would be helpful I can do that.

/ Why is my Shindawa leaf blower hard starting? #2  
I had a similar problem once (I also run non-ethanol petrol)... it turns out that my 2-stroke mix was wrong. Maybe 55 or 60 to 1. :confused3: Shakey hands or I wasn't wearing my glasses.

Changed my mix to 40:1 and everything went back to normal.

/ Why is my Shindawa leaf blower hard starting?
I had a similar problem once (I also run non-ethanol petrol)... it turns out that my 2-stroke mix was wrong. Maybe 55 or 60 to 1. :confused3: Shakey hands or I wasn't wearing my glasses.

Changed my mix to 40:1 and everything went back to normal.

Thank you. I mix at 40 to one. It might say 50 to one so I will mix as instructed just to see what happens.

/ Why is my Shindawa leaf blower hard starting? #4  
About the time of your purchase their was a push to clean up the small engine exhaust. In general, one of the ways manufacturers did this was by the increasing the operating temperature. The spark plug plays a roll in this. I’d verify you have the right spark plug. You may have one that is designed for the incorrect temperature range.

Having said all that, most of the small engine issues seen are fuel related. Use fresh non-ethanol fuel.

Fuel Tips for Gasoline Lawn Mowers and Snow Blowers | Toro - YouTube

I looked at the owner's manual and it calls for 50-1 "Swisher E-4" oil, whatever the heck that is. I just use my Dolmar or Steel 40-1 mix and that's what I have always used. The owner's manual calls for an NGK CMR5H plug and I'm near certain that's what I used. I'll have to double check the plug and find some correct fuel and we'll see what happens. Never knew the fuel mix could be an issue but have to try the easy things first.

/ Why is my Shindawa leaf blower hard starting? #6  
I looked at the owner's manual and it calls for 50-1 "Swisher E-4" oil, whatever the heck that is. I just use my Dolmar or Steel 40-1 mix and that's what I have always used. The owner's manual calls for an NGK CMR5H plug and I'm near certain that's what I used. I'll have to double check the plug and find some correct fuel and we'll see what happens. Never knew the fuel mix could be an issue but have to try the easy things first.

I wasn’t very clear on my response- the hotter spark plugs take a bit to warm up. So it may take a few extra pulls when it’s cold.
We have always cold started 2 strokes in this way-

-Full choke, full throttle and pull until it fires- typically it won’t start though
- turn choke off and keep full throttle- it will typically start with the next pull

/ Why is my Shindawa leaf blower hard starting? #7  
Nada. It's NOT the fuel mix or the plug. It IS the in tank filter. Go to your local chainsaw/mower guy and get a Echo kit for your Shindawa model #. The in-tank filter is of two flow capacities normal and high. I have one, a Shindawa and am about to install it soon. It's only 47f here- highest temp in days.
Most ALL chainsaws, weed eaters and Back-pak blowers have these primary fuel filters, and they clog up, like any other filter over time. Change it and go...
Report back results.

Nada. It's NOT the fuel mix or the plug. It IS the in tank filter. Go to your local chainsaw/mower guy and get a Echo kit for your Shindawa model #. The in-tank filter is of two flow capacities normal and high. I have one, a Shindawa and am about to install it soon. It's only 47f here- highest temp in days.
Most ALL chainsaws, weed eaters and Back-pak blowers have these primary fuel filters, and they clog up, like any other filter over time. Change it and go...
Report back results.

Will do. Can't get one till Monday but I will report back.

/ Why is my Shindawa leaf blower hard starting? #9  
What does not make a lot of sense - everybody says use non-alcohol gas. Ever since all our gas around here went to ethanol gas - that's all I've ever used. I put Stabil in all my 2-cycle/4-cycle gas and have NEVER had a moments problems that were related to fuel. I just wonder if we get a better "grade" of gas around here - we sure as H-E-L-L should be - yesterday's regular is $3.01/gallon. Supreme - $3.21/gallon.

/ Why is my Shindawa leaf blower hard starting? #10  
Agree on the fuel primary filter, that is generally a clump of felt in a weighted pick up and being felt it is easily clogged.

Next is the fuel lines, black rubber degrades with certain fuels, notably ethanol, the 'upgrade' is a yellow fuel line (believe called Tygon) which is generally sold by the inch in a variety of sizes.

Spark plugs also play havoc but if a blue spark is evident then that is not the main issue.

Most current owners manuals will say to use the highest octane available with preference given to 'non gasahol'