propane tank valve question

/ propane tank valve question #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I have multiple propane tanks I rotate through for use in generators and grill and I have not experience this before..

On one particular tank every time i open the valve (no matter how slow or fast I do it and I always shut the valve off between uses) i hear a loud 'clunk' from inside the tank.. if i close the valve and reopen it there is no sounds..

I am assuming its the shut off valve in the tank thinking the valve leaking.. I have also notices that the grill doesnt seem to be heating 'normally' as i has before - not sure how to explain it

Any thoughts if i am correct its that valve shutting off? this is an exchange tank i got when i traded out expired/expiring tanks

brian

/ propane tank valve question #2  
Not sure. But a rather smug propane handling guy told me how there is a valve and he ends up with quite a few tanks turned in that still have fuel, which were not delivering fuel to the appliance. These tanks of course go home with him. He told me, there is a sequence for tank valve and BBQ valve, I can't remember what he said! I only remember the cutting torch sequence, A before O, or up you go!

/ propane tank valve question #3  
Just open the valve very slowly and the safety valve will not activate.

/ propane tank valve question
Just open the valve very slowly and the safety valve will not activate.

i tried going really slow. like 1/4 turn and wait a few seconds, then another 1/4 and then wait.. and the valve still tripped.. and the burners were in the off position.

now if i close it and reopen it it doesnt trip.. i unhooked the hose and reconnected it and didnt make any difference

brian

/ propane tank valve question #5  
Me thinks it's time to trade it in and let them deal with it

/ propane tank valve question #6  
Brian I've have a couple that I have to close and reopen slowly twice to make them work some times but they always work on the sec. try. Some safety gadgets don't work as smoothly as we'd like.

thanks... i agree with Clint - time to swap it off

brian

/ propane tank valve question #8  
Close the valve, disconnect whatever's connected to the tank. Stand over the tank. Pick it up with both hands by the grab then slam it back down on something hard (such that the base hits flat).

Don't know why, but my propane guy does this with every tank he fills. Reconnect, slowly open valve and see if that makes a difference. Might help, might not, but whattaya got to lose?

Close the valve, disconnect whatever's connected to the tank. Stand over the tank. Pick it up with both hands by the grab then slam it back down on something hard (such that the base hits flat).

Don't know why, but my propane guy does this with every tank he fills. Reconnect, slowly open valve and see if that makes a difference. Might help, might not, but whattaya got to lose?

thanks.. Ill try that.. this tank has been refilled multiple times by me, and this is the first time it has acted up
brian

/ propane tank valve question #10  
lp tank safety | propane safe use | lp check valve | safe liquid propane

Reset The Check Valve:

Turn the LP container completely off
Disconnect the LP container from the grill
Turn the gas BBQ Grill valves to the highest setting
Now leave it alone for a few minutes while any residual gas and pressure is released from the gas lines, venturis and barbeque burners.
Turn the barbecue grill completely off
Reattach the LP container
Turn the LP tank valve to the on position by turnng very, very slowly for the first two rotations
This will allow the gas to slowly fill the barbeque without blasting through the valve, putting the LP tank in check