Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, G5200, KAMA 454

Default anyone convert a drill press to a lathe?

I'm looking to mount a face plate where the drill chuck would go. The thread is 1/2-20

Tractor
    JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers and now one Kubota

Default Re: anyone convert a drill press to a lathe?

Not sure what you have in mind, but typically the bearings in the nose of a drill are made for compression, and do not stand up to a side load like a lathe would subject the bearings to.
    David from jax
    A serious accident is one that money won't fix.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2370

I was thinking of flexing in the shaft too as a drill works close to the material unlike a lathe, also the head of a lathe is mounted on the bed and a drill it is the motor.

Veteran Member
    Olalla WA, Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

As was mentioned before a DP shaft bearings are not designed for lateral force. Probably only for work making light cuts; if you figure out a way to operate the cutting tools which would be all manual. I have used mine for light milling but the results are a long way from perfect. Some expensive drill presses are set up for precision milling but not the ones most of us work with.

Ron

Veteran Member

are you using it for metal work or woodwork? shopsmiths are drill presses and lathes.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DS4110, Kubota GR2120

Agreed. The drill press spindle will deflect too much. I donít even think it would work well for light cuts on wood or metal. Even a heavy duty drill spindle will deflect to follow a cored or spotted hole. This is the wrong tool for the application.

I have seen it done for things like filing dog points on setscrews, and with a center on the table and a flat bar in the vise along the work for woodturning small things like fishing lures. If you are just making small things and not putting a lot of load on the drill press, yes it can work...basically stuff that is small enough to fit in the drill chuck. I think a faceplate would be asking for trouble.

If you are doing woodworking, 12" craftsman lathes are freaking everywhere, and cheap. I picked one up for $40 at a local(ish) used tool place, but I have seen a bunch on craigslist too.

As far as metal lathes that can be a little harder, but if you were closer I know of one, 100+ years old, currently outside, some missing and broken parts. Seller won't ship because it's about 3500 lbs...

Tractor
    MT180D

I have done that often but only under small pieces like to maybe do minor diameter adjustments.
    As an example (using a file) to adjust, say a bolt or pin to adapt SAE to Metric or Metric to SAE.

More than that I use my lathe, either wood or my small metal one.
    If I do use the drill press it is just because I'm too lazy to set up a lathe. (like it is 10 ft away and the other in the basement) LOL

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, G5200, KAMA 454

I plan to turn marble, as in stone. The loads would be in compression. I want to mount a 3/4 in thick pc of marble on the face plate.
    I'm trying to take this pc of green marble and get a water ripple effect.

I have had some success using a Radial arm saw auxiliary shaft (opposite the blade shaft). I use a round router bit or burr bit with the motor fixed. The table is a lazy Susan that I rotate. As I move the rotating table and adj the bit height, I get the rings close to the water ripples. So this is good for bulk removal but to remove the finer parts, it needs to be free hand.

The end goal is to have this green marble smooth and polished looking like pond water ripple. My wife, jewelry maker will then make some copper frog legs, so it looks like a frog has jumped in the murky green water making ripples.

I carve stone and try to come up with designs that are,,,,,different.

See attached sardine can
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails anyone convert a drill press to a lathe?-sardine-can-jpg  

Tractor
    Massey Feguson

There is a site called homemadetools.net and if you go on there and search for drill press lathe you will see many different attempts at homemade drill press lathes it's kind of a neat site for the DIY home built on a budget crowd

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast